• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Five days in Devon and Cornwall, where should I go? (1 Viewer)

gillian

I've been looking on Birdforum for a while and have decided now is the time to post my first plea for help.
I want to make the most of a few days in Devon/Cornwall (starting 10th May) and see as many different species as possible. I'm planning to go for the ibis and am keen to try to see cirl bunting. Can anyone point me to good sites for these and other birds.
Thanks Gillian

I am sure that Andrew 'The Devonian' will have plenty of ideas for you when he sees your message - he is very helpful.

Personally I would try to include the Start Point/Prawle Point area - good for Cirl Buntings and a very scenic area with excellent potential for attracting migrants - and the nearby Slapton Ley. Also Dawlish Warren for terns, waders and migrants. Plus the 'commons' south-east of Exeter for Dartford Warbler, Hobby and Nightjar.

We spend five days in Devon each July doing these sites.

Steve

Steve's pointed you in the right direction Gillian,(West).
There's also the Raptor Watchpoint at Haldon, not far from Dawlish,usually something to see there.
Welcome to the Bird forums, hope you get the info. you need.

Hi Gillian and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Moderators and Admin. Staff.
I'm sure your enquiry will receive lots of top notch advice as we have many members from that area.
Speaking personally, I'd head to the Lizard in late Spring although the west Cornish valleys also turn up some serious stuff.

Hi Gillian

Don't know how many days you've got, but I'd second the suggestions made. My recommended selection would be:
Bowling Green Marsh
Dawlish Warren (slightly different selection of waders from BGM; also possible sea duck, terns, auks)
Dartmoor - the Warren House Inn/Soussons area (Whinchat, Wheatear, Tree Pipit, Cuckoo, Ring Ouzel)
Yarner Wood (Pied Flycatcher, Wood Warbler, Redstart, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker etc)
Prawle Point (Cirl Bunting; migrants)
E Devon Commons (Dartford Warbler; Nightjar)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, now all al I want is for the weather to brighten up again and the birds to all come out!

I'll second that, Gillian. But if the worst comes to the worst and it's misty and drizzling, you could always try Start Point, Prawle or South Huish Marsh (a grassy field behind Thurlestone beach). You may find grounded migrants - sometimes rare ones.

Hi Gillian. Andrew is away at the moment so he may not see your post until it is too late. Whilst Cirl Buntings are "guaranteed" at Prawle you could also get them at Exminster. Go into the village and turn up Deepway Lane, drive to the top of the hill and park where the road widens just before the bridge over the A38 dual carriageway. There are a couple of pairs of Cirls here and they visit the feeders in the garden of the bungalow opposite where you park. They also perch on the telegraph wires. Listen out for Woodlark here as they frequent the field with the large dung heap and poly tunnels.
Yarner Wood near Bovey Tracey is a good place to go for Pied Flycatcher, Wood Warbler, Tree Pipit, Redstart and if you are lucky Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Goshawk. Mandarin visit the small pond by the carpark.
I will be away from Wednesday visiting Scotland so if you need any more information please E Mail me.

If your going to Bowling Green Marsh, best to check out Andrews instructions on how to get there, unless you've been before?

Bowling Green Marsh

I tried once and failed to find it, i'll have to try again soon see how i get on next time.

Just wanted to thank you all for your help I had a great time and got some excellent birds! Prawle point came good for the cirl bunting but sadly the Ibis had flown. All in all a good time though and a good opportunity to try my new camera!
GIllian

Gillian,

I am very sorry to say I was indeed away in Mallorca and did not see your post until right now. I would have probably arranged to meet up and shown you round if the timing was good. I also missed another member, Mr Frankis, on his visit but linked him up with a friend. Really sorry but glad you had a good visit anyhow. Hope to be of more assistance in the future.

Sorry you weren't around Andrew, I am back next week for one very short day (taking the mother-in-law home!) any idea where I might see short eared owls?

We got a pair of dippers at Bovey Tracey and a family of grey wagtails provided some great photo opportunities.A visit to Yarner wood watching fantastic views of fly catchers was a high light of the week. Dawlish Warren provided a good seletion of waders and a super peregrine falcon. We drove up to Padstow to go out on the boat and see puffins only to find the boat was starting up again next week, oh well you can't win them all.

We didn't see any owls which living in Norfolk seemed unusual, so I hope when I pop down next week I may be lucky
Gillian

Hi Gillian. I'm afraid we don't get summering Short-eared Owls in Devon, not even on Dartmoor apparently (or, at least, if we do they're kept hush-hush).

Gillian,

Bluetail hit it on the head. I have not seen any evidence in reports of SEOs in Devon. I was hoping for one at Steart yesterday but no such luck. I have seen one at Prawle during October or November and that is it.

Keep an eye on reports and you may be able to connect with a Great Reed Warbler at Dawlish Warren. It was found yesterday and past records on Birdguides suggests it may stick around. Another option is to nip down to Prawle and se some Cirl Buntings.

Looks like the Great Reed has gone. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend staring all day at that patch of reeds unless you're desperate for a tick - it was a really unco-operative blighter (though it did show well in the end ;) and there wasn't much else to look at apart from Reed Warblers).

Gillian,

Does Ring Ouzel, Whinchat and Cuckoo tickle your fancy? If so then head to Warren House/Bennett's Cross. Is you reckon that's good I can give more specific directions. I may have covered this place in the forums before.

Bluetail said:
though it did show well in the end ;)
Did you race up the A38 from Plymouth? I chickened out on racing down the M5 from Steart and decided to try this morning. Clear night skies equalled big mistake!

Hi Andrew. Yes, I'm afraid I caved in! I nearly didn't bother, but I hadn't seen one in Britain since the Budleigh Salterton one of 1989 and I only had about 1 minute of that before it went to roost. That one had been a one-day wonder and I had a feeling this one might be too, so I felt I had to go. Fortunately it was well worth it in the end. Stopped off Nightjar on the way back and got a bonus by way of a very close encounter with a Badger, so ended up having a fabulous evening.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back