• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos Spring 2004 (1 Viewer)

I@n

Hello,

I'm off to Lesvos on May 6th for 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone had heard any news on this years migration/good species/general island news that might be of interest. It's my third visit so I know what to expect generally, I was just after some more up to date gen.

Thanks in advance
I@n

Hello I@n and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Moderators and Admin. Staff.
Although I am unable to help myself, I'm sure your enquiry will receive plenty of replies.

Hi Ian

I'm going 13th - 27th for the first time and I can't wait. I have found a report for this year posted already on Eurobirder.com by Simon Woolley and Julia Casson. They went in early April and from their report, it seems that migration only got going in earnest towards the end of their visit.

As I am going with my non-birding bird, I will only have a hire car for 3 days. I have read many reports but would be interested to hear what sites you would consider a must from your previous visits.

I am staying in the Pasiphae which I have established is close to the pool and west river. As I will without wheels for most of the holiday I am interested to know wether sites such as the potami and Napi valleys, the inland lake and the salt pans are within reasonable walking (or possibly cycling ) distance of my hotel. I intend to try and get in 2-3 hours birding each morning before sleeping beauty wakes up.

I would welcome any comment on the feasability of exploring the kalloni area on foot and would be interested in hearing tips/views of others who have birded the area.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for that, I have Simon's mail address so I'll mail him directly.

It's a fantastic island, I've birded all over Europe and its my favourite site by some way.

Sites you MUST visit inc. Napi Valley, Ipsilou, Faneromeni and Sigri as well as top spots around S.Kalloni. There are many other locations around the island though I'd put those down as essential (all of them need a car though). You'll also need a site for Krupers Nuthatch but best to ask others when you get there (inc. me - look out for very long haired bloke!).
There's plenty of good stuff around Skalla Kalloni though inc. the superb Kalloni 2 Pool, the 2 rivers and the Salt Pans and adjacent sheep field. Although we'll have a hire car for our 2 weeks I expect we'll spend at least a day on bikes in and around S.Kalloni. The Salt Pans, Kalloni inland lake and Potamia will be no problem on a bike, Napi Valley is quite some way though.

Anyway, suffice to say you'll have a superb time, there are always lots of birds around, the weather is usually excellent and the people and food brilliant.
See you out there!
I@n

PS. PM me for any more details on anything.

Thanks Ian

I am pleased to hear that the well known sites in the kalloni area are accessable without a vehicle. I will PM you if I think of any specific queries about the sites you mention. I am toying with the idea of buying Richard Brooks book but as this was published in 1995, the various trip reports avaliable free have more up to date information. I know he's published a number of updates but wonder if the benefit justifies the expense.

Have a brilliant time. I'll let you know how I got on.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back