• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Missouri Swallows (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
I'm seeing a few species of swallows over the Mississippi.

Cliff swallows have been reported
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/nathis/birds/birdatlas/maintext/0400279.htm

I have seen Tree Swallows regularly. They have a clear line between head and the lower white area.

Now I'm seeing some mostly brown on top swallows, no blue for sure. They could be juvenile Cliff Swallows, Bank Swallow (it was perching on a wire, not facing me), or even female Martins (though a bit light underneath for Martins).

Will keep an eye for these.

http://www.birder.com/birding/alert/centralchat/0115.html
Other reports there.

You can add your sightings.

Chimney swifts I see in the suburbs, plus Barn Swallows.

Hi Tero. If your brown birds were Purple Martins I think you'd know because they are obviously bigger than any of the swallows. Any of last years juvenile swallows ought to be in adult-type plumage by now. I reckon it's a choice between Bank Swallow and Northern Rough-winged Swallow. I found these two the very devil to tell apart when they were flying - My eyes don't work that quickly and it was just so hard to see whether they had a breast band or not.

Thanks, and yes, we have some river banks close by.

They were indeed Northern Rough-winged Swallows.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back