• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Televid 20-60X eyepiece (1 Viewer)

tostrand

Does anyone know the range of serial numbers associated with the different versions of the 20-60X zoom eyepiece for Leica Televid 62 or 77 scopes?
I'm looking for a resale of the 20-60x, since it is no longer manufactured by Leica.
I understand there are at least 2 versions, with the following model numbers:
However, the actual eyepieces don't show the model number; they only show the individual serial number. So I'd like to know which serial numbers correspond to the different models.

Thanks for any help,
Tom

My eyepiece is the new version I think, No 2049225. It's on the old APO Televid77 which doesn't have the hole that the eyepiece I have should lock into. Perhaps no help to you but I thought I would try.

There are actually 3 different versions. I do not think that there was ever a serial number list which would identify the different ones - at least I have never seen one.

The best ways to tell the difference ;

41001 The first version from the initial release of the Televid 77 range. Has an eyecup sleeve which pulls straight up.

41005 The second version can be distinguished from the first as it has a twist up eyecup sleeve. The optics are improved in this model.

41012 This is the same as 41005 but has a pin and locking mechanism mounted on the side to fit into the hole on the later Televid 62 and 77 bodies.

Eye-relief changes of the versions?

41001 The first version from the initial release of the Televid 77 range. Has an eyecup sleeve which pulls straight up.

41005 The second version can be distinguished from the first as it has a twist up eyecup sleeve. The optics are improved in this model.

41012 This is the same as 41005 but has a pin and locking mechanism mounted on the side to fit into the hole on the later Televid 62 and 77 bodies.

Looking at two sets of eye-relief curves I once downloaded from the Dutch site (see http://www.tvwg.nl/ where they can still be found ), it would seem that only the optical quality might have been improved. But the eye relief in the most commonly used range of 30x to 40x seems to have become considerably worse.

The curves for the presumably old version (1998 report) show 15 mm at 30x and 13.5 mm at 40x. However in the 2007 report (and thus concerning the new version), the values are 12.5 mm at both 30x and 40x, with a low of only 12 mm at around 35x.

Or could it be that my 1995 model is an even earlier version?

This would make it a worse version for eyeglass wearers. The new version is better than the old one in the highest range, but that is not what one uses that often as the 30-40x range.

Am I misinterpreting the numbers, or are there really more problems for eyeglass wearers with the newer versions?

According to the 1998 curves, the eye relief in the 50x to 60x range is between 13.5 and 14 mm in the old version. However, I am running into progressively more severe problems on my (old, 1995) zoom eyepiece when I get to those magnifications. Yet, I have no knowledge of people excessively complaining about the 30x to 40x range in the newer versions.

Or could it be that my 1995 version is an even earlier model?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back