• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accommodation In Arasaki And Hokkaido (1 Viewer)

ronjax

Can anyone recommend "digs" in either place? I have heard of a place at Arasaki in close to the cranes and a place in Hokkaido close to Blakiston's Owls,

Cheers,

Ron

The Hokkaido places you should google are 'Washi-no-yado" in Rausu (for the owls and eagles), Akan Crane Sanctuary in Kushiro (for the cranes obviously) and Matsuo's Lodge at Furen-ko.........

Stu,

Thanks, nice blog! I'm a Sandgrounder (a/k/a a person born in Southport, Lancs.)
Liverpool supporter as well but TV only these days, not so easy to get tickets. We've had our moments this season, mostly bad ones.

I thought I was due out to Japan this coming March but my wife (Japanese) nagged me out of going with her, excuse being anniversary of family death, reality being a desire not to have to travel around in the sticks encumbered with me and my video stuff.

Anyway promised a trip with her next March, which provides time for some careful planning, and this year it will be end March-early April for her which I don't think is the best time for what I want to do.

I've been to Japan before, including Hokkaido when you could get a ferry from Tokyo . I stayed near Furen-ko in a place recommended by Mark Brazil (who we met out there) but then found a better place near Cape Kirittapu, owned by a Katuoka-san, also a birdwatcher. Don't know if he's still in business.

A lot, lots more, birders visiting the place of course inc packages (that charge the earth!) these days so not quite the "ultima thule" it was but still ace for sexy sibes and I like the culture as well,

Cheers,

Ron

ps how do I contact you via your blog?

Stu,

Thanks, nice blog! I'm a Sandgrounder (a/k/a a person born in Southport, Lancs.)
Liverpool supporter as well but TV only these days, not so easy to get tickets. We've had our moments this season, mostly bad ones.

I thought I was due out to Japan this coming March but my wife (Japanese) nagged me out of going with her, excuse being anniversary of family death, reality being a desire not to have to travel around in the sticks encumbered with me and my video stuff.

Anyway promised a trip with her next March, which provides time for some careful planning, and this year it will be end March-early April for her which I don't think is the best time for what I want to do.

I've been to Japan before, including Hokkaido when you could get a ferry from Tokyo . I stayed near Furen-ko in a place recommended by Mark Brazil (who we met out there) but then found a better place near Cape Kirittapu, owned by a Katuoka-san, also a birdwatcher. Don't know if he's still in business.

A lot, lots more, birders visiting the place of course inc packages (that charge the earth!) these days so not quite the "ultima thule" it was but still ace for sexy sibes and I like the culture as well,

Cheers,

Ron

ps how do I contact you via your blog?

Hi Ron, you can just leave a comment..........

I'll PM you my e-mail too......

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back