• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hummers Have Arrived!! (1 Viewer)

Mandy

Newbie Birdwatcher
While I was outside with my dogs tonight I walked over to the bush which the hummers were attracted to last year. The flowers had just barely bloomed so I was not expecting to see a Hummingbird at all. I just wanted to see the flowers more or less. Much to my surprise (and delight!!) I saw something flying around on the opposite side of the bush. At first I dismissed it as a bumble bee, but upon closer inspection it registered that it was a Hummingbird!!

According to the research that I did online, they weren't supposed to arrive in my area until the middle of May. I guess this little bird didn't know that as it showed up 2 weeks early!!

So, tomorrow I'm off to Wal-Mart to buy a feeder or two. Hopefully I'll be able to get some really nice pictures of these tiny little angles!! Can anyone recommend which feeder is the best?? What about the nectar, do you make it yourself or buy it in the store?? Any info on how to keep my new birdies happy would be appreciated!!

- Mandy

Hi Mandy. I'm still waiting for the arrival of mine :(

The best nectar is homemade as the hummers do not need the red dye in the store bought. Mix one cup of sugar to 4 cups of boiling water. I let it simmer for a minute or two on low and then let it cool. It freezes well if you have room to store it and certainly makes it more convenient as you should change out the nectar every other day and daily if your weather gets really hot. Although I doubt it gets as hot as it does here ;) It would help too if you hung your feeders in the shade.

I cannot tell you how many beautiful feeders I have with the glass tube coming out from the bottom but for the life of me, not one of them keeps the nectar in. It drips out slowly all over the place. (if anyone knows a solution to this, I'm all ears) Good luck Mandy and looking forward to seeing some pics.

Hi Mandy,

YEAH!!
smilie_groupflip2.gif

Migration this year is ahead of schedule:

http://www.hummingbirds.net/images/map-rubythroat-us.gif

K C has given you all the info you need.

If you did buy two feeders,it is a good idea to keep them out of sight of each other...hummers are very territorial.

Cheers,bob

bobky said:
If you did buy two feeders,it is a good idea to keep them out of sight of each other...hummers are very territorial.

Cheers,bob
Bob, this is something I have heard all along but I have a friend in LA, who is also a member here, and I have seen photos of all her feeders which are fairly close to each other and every feeder is dripping with hummers with a waiting line on the fence near by. Totally amazing.

KCFoggin said:
Bob, this is something I have heard all along but I have a friend in LA, who is also a member here, and I have seen photos of all her feeders which are fairly close to each other and every feeder is dripping with hummers with a waiting line on the fence near by. Totally amazing.

KC, just going from personal experience with a few hummers we get here. Perhaps when there are many hummers present, the bullies can't chase them all away. Cheers,bob

i have about 10 feeders out rite now, i do keep them insight of each other so as i can enjoy the battles, now when they really start showing up i group the feeders and that way the "bullies" really cant do much about it as the number of other hummers take over, also i have mad homemade humming feeders out of softdrink bottles they dont hold alot of necter but they dont leak

I am green with envy all those beautiful "jewels" to look at. I look forward to seeing many many pictures in the gallery.

From the cold North West of England.

A Chaplin

Well, I went out an bought 2 brand new glass feeders for them and put the homemade sugar water in it, but not one hummer showed up today. At least none that I saw. I'm hoping that one will show up tomorrow for a photo shoot, but I guess I can only wait and be patient. :)

- Mandy

My subjective impression is that it is a VERY active year for the ruby-throats. My first male was seen March 14, the first female on March 23. The feeders have been very busy with this week, and today, especially busy with at times at least three hummingbirds chasing at one time, probably more. Pretty much constant activity -- even when the rain was coming down hard on Friday one determined male continued to visit one of the feeders (I have two).

We are so excited to think the hummers might be running ahead of schedule, we got our feeders out this morning and they're filled, ready and waiting. First arrival last year was May 7th which was a week earlier than normal -- so they should be here any minute, right?? Guess the anticipation is half the fun. Sure hope they're not put off by our cool (53f) foggy weather! :bounce:

After playing with my two dogs this afternoon, I decided to go inside for a break. I sat down at my computer desk when I saw something moving behind me outside the window. I turned around to look and there was a gorgeous little hummingbird using the new feeder that I had put out for them a week or so ago. Luckily, I had my camera still around my neck so I was able to get a couple of pictures before it flew off. Unfortunately though, they didn't come out very good. I didn't have time to set the camera settings and the window itself was dirty (that's one of the cons of having two grown boxers!!).

Anyway, one of the pictures came out good enough to use a silhouette avatar (which you can see under my name). As soon as I'm able to get good pictures I'll have both a new avatar and some new pics in my gallery. :)

- Mandy

I have windows much the same as yours due to a dog that loves to lick the bottom halves. ;) I've got 4 feeders up now and still no hummers. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will see the juvies using the feeders.

I think your avatar is swell!

Finally!! Today I was a bad girl and played sick from work. I spent my day cleaning and of course bird watching. I had a few Hummingbirds who kept coming into the yard for both "real" food and to use our feeders. I was able to get a couple of decent pictures which I have posted in my gallery. Enjoy!!

- Mandy

Just yesterday, I saw my first Ruby-Throat of the season! Haven't seen him since though. He was attracted to my yellow thistle feeder. I replaced the thistle feeder with a hummingbird feeder but all three feeders are still up.

Seen the first male ruby throat May 4th, and the female May 11th. As far as I know, and so far, there is 4 males and 1 female. Today was the battle of the feeders! I have 3 feeders, all out of site from each other. There is a male that guards each one! Whenever another hummer comes near the feeder the male drives it away, and goes back to where he was "hiding"! I think if I went outside near the feeders they would of attacked me too! haha

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back