• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seasonal information (1 Viewer)

JJP

I'm arriving in mid-March this year to look for a few target birds on the Caribbean slope. Generally I come in mid-summer, and I haven't been to Costa Rica in March since my first trip in 1992.

Does anyone have ideas about raptor movements in mid-March?... I realize this is incredibly vague, but I'm really just looking for some general impressions of that season ... and one that a constant summer traveler to that country might think is rather new.

Also, does anyone know if there are regular spots still for Tropical Mockingbird? If so, where? Most sightings seem to be stake-outs.

Last edited:
You probably won't get big movements of raptors then but the weather will be nice and birds will be singing more in general.

I will let you know if I hear of other sites for Tropical Mockingbird- at the moment, I just know about birds on the El Valle golf course in Santa Ana which is closed to the public although they have bird walks now and then that you can sign up for. If they do when you are here, I will let you know.

On a side note, 92 was my first trip too- since then I get the impression that populations of birds in the Central Valley have declined in general, and that Mealy and Red-lored Parrots have also declined (probably Yellow-naped too). Goes without saying that Great Green Macaws have declined too while Melodious Blackbirds and Pearl Kites have increased. On a positive note, a number of places are planting trees and forest is growing back in such places at the OTS entrance road and around San Gerardo de Rivas.

Do you have any impressions about changes in CR avifauna since the early 90s?

Do you have any impressions about changes in CR avifauna since the early 90s?

Guanacaste has taken a man-made beating with the new airport and all the new infrastructure, but I can't say the parks seem any worse for wear. There are a few birds, uncommon birds like Spot-breasted Orioles, which were hard back then and seem next to impossible now. But I'm not sure I can attribute that to habitat loss.

Some of the avifauna seem to have spread out a little. Jabirus recently nested at Cano Negro and you mentioned Pearl Kites already. The Tropical Mockingbird and Southern Lapwing were big things three years ago, but I get the impression now people might be thinking they'll grow in numbers rather than retreat.

Sometimes I can't always tell about these things though because there are more eyes in the field now. Or maybe habitat changes and weather systems are dictating these subtle movements. For several years, Tropical Kingbirds were reliably seen at certain places in Texas and Arizona, but they apparently have retreated back to their more standard ranges in Mexico. The same could be happening for a few species in Costa Rica. It's hard to know if something is a temporary shift or a long-term change in a species entire range.

A Costa Rica bird guide told me that he thought that the raptor numbers were down considerably in the last decade, but I'm there too infrequently to notice those changes. I also understand some warming trends at Monteverde are effecting the smaller poison arrow frogs and other amphibians, so there may be a bigger fluctuation in which only a decade or two might be too insignificant to tell the story. You may know more about that than I do.

On the good side, I think the growth of the ecotourism industry has created a positive awareness of habitat. New community-based eco-friendly places like Heliconias Lodge are big additions since I was first here. The new Costa Rica Birding Birding Route seems really interesting too if they can get that going. The Texas Birding Trail added a lot of tourism dollars here in Texas.

I'm in a constant worry about the Pacific coast getting too over-built, but that's been going on so long now I'm almost glad there's a recession just to slow everything down.

Last edited:
Sometimes I can't always tell about these things though because there are more eyes in the field now. Or maybe habitat changes and weather systems are dictating these subtle movements. For several years, Tropical Kingbirds were reliably seen at certain places in Texas and Arizona, but they apparently have retreated back to their more standard ranges in Mexico. The same could be happening for a few species in Costa Rica. It's hard to know if something is a temporary shift or a long-term change in a species entire range.
Yes, I agree- it's difficult enough to simply assess the status of bird populations. Finding explanations presents an even greater challenge.

I agree with the parks- offhand, they seem to be doing well and more protected areas have been established. I am eager to visit one of the newer ones- Barbilla National Park which protects a big area of lowland forest near Siquirres. I think most Guanacaste species are still doing alright but I hear you on that oriole. It's a lot easier in Mexico.

Yeah, the Monteverde area has been going through changes for a while- one of the most obvious examples of shifts in bird populations that can probably be attributed to global warming.

Yes, lapwings and the mockingbirds appear to be here to stay. A Greater Ani has been hanging out for the past few years in Tortuguero, and although I was waiting to break this news, at least one adult Harpy Eagle has been seen recently been seen in Tortuguero with some regularity (!). I am pretty sure that this record can attributed to more eyes in the field.

In any case, still lots of birds around and some exciting places to check out on the new Costa Rican bird route for the more adventurous of birders.

I agree with the parks- offhand, they seem to be doing well and more protected areas have been established. I am eager to visit one of the newer ones- Barbilla National Park which protects a big area of lowland forest near Siquirres.

Is there good access into that park? I assume habitat is lowland and foothill-like given the location. I haven't heard anything about this park.

Yes, lapwings and the mockingbirds appear to be here to stay. A Greater Ani has been hanging out for the past few years in Tortuguero, and although I was waiting to break this news, at least one adult Harpy Eagle has been seen recently been seen in Tortuguero with some regularity (!). I am pretty sure that this record can attributed to more eyes in the field.

Is it being seen from hard ground? Tortuguero should get pretty popular if it stays.

Last edited:
Barbilla can be accessed from near Siquirres, yes, is lowland and foothills, and apparently has a few trails. A friend of mine went there briefly and it sounded like good lowland potential because nunbirds were common. I wonder if it's like Hitoy Cerere- best Caribbean lowland forest birding I have seen in Costa Rica.

No, the Harpy (or both) have been seen from boats and yes Tortuguero could suddenly become very popular.

Barbilla can be accessed from near Siquirres, yes, is lowland and foothills, and apparently has a few trails. A friend of mine went there briefly and it sounded like good lowland potential because nunbirds were common. I wonder if it's like Hitoy Cerere- best Caribbean lowland forest birding I have seen in Costa Rica.

What's the northern range limit of Sulphur-rumped Tanager? Do you know? You think Barbilla might be an option for that species?

What's the northern range limit of Sulphur-rumped Tanager? Do you know? You think Barbilla might be an option for that species?

Yes, I do because it is south of the Reventazon which is supposed to be the northern limit for this species. So little is known about this bird...

Yes, I do because it is south of the Reventazon which is supposed to be the northern limit for this species. So little is known about this bird...

Good to know. Thanks.

Good luck with your new house by the way (I just read the blog).

Take some pictures and post them once you get your proposed feeding stations up.

Good to know. Thanks.

Good luck with your new house by the way (I just read the blog).

Take some pictures and post them once you get your proposed feeding stations up.

Thanks- hopefully I will do that sometime this year. Also need to do some plantings in the backyard.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back