• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tasco Titan (1 Viewer)

Versus

Last week, I bought a new pair of (obsolete) Tasco Titan 7x42 binoculars. Since Tasco has been bought out by Bushnell, they cannot give me more details about the Titan. Does someone have any experience with it ? In my opinion (for what it’s worth) its suits me perfectly ! Best regards Versus

Thanks Michael,

The Tasco Titan 7x42/LE/S I bought last week (I paid 225 EUROs for it - approx. 150 pounds) was made in Japan in the nineties.

Francis

Versus said:
Last week, I bought a new pair of (obsolete) Tasco Titan 7x42 binoculars. Since Tasco has been bought out by Bushnell, they cannot give me more details about the Titan. Does someone have any experience with it ? In my opinion (for what it’s worth) its suits me perfectly ! Best regards Versus
Hi Versus, Just noticed your thread. I have had the Titan 7x42's for about 6 years now. They are starting to show signs of (ab)use. About a year ago they fogged up in cold weather which I managed to clear by unscrewing the objective and drying it out. I was relieved to find that I didn't damage the alignment. The eyepieces are now starting to become scratched, no doubt due to improper cleaning methods (breath and sleeve). However they have served me well for the price.They are comfortable to hold despite the weight. I like the close focus and the field of view.
Bob

I can't tell you much about Tasco other than you were right to buy a Japanese made model. The Japanese products are of fairly good quality for the money. The rest of Tasco's line is well desearving of the "Trashco" monicker.

ranburr

Yes, I slagged the Tasco line earlier but it was pointed out to me that Tasco is an importer, not a manufacturer. Apparently Tasco imported some very good optics years ago.(Maybe MANY years ago).

Tasco started in Miami, FL importing good mid-grade, Japanese made rifle scopes in the 1950s. Over time the company changed hands several times and they started looking for the lowest bidder. Before their most recent resurection, they had nearly all their products made in China as cheaply as possible. Unfortuneately for Tasco, BSA was able to get their chinese products even cheaper. Thus, Tasco lost the war for the bottom feeders optics market and went bankrupt in the process. Bushnell got the rights for the name and immediately tried to sell it to Meade. The deal was blocked by the U.S. govt. and Bushnell was forced to start marketing product under the Tasco name. Look for Bushnell to divest themselves of Tasco at the first available opportunity.

ranburr

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back