• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Scope (1 Viewer)

jonhicks

Jon Hicks
United Kingdom
Hi - I currently use a Kowa TSN 1 scope with 30x wide angle eyepiece, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a better scope now that I've saved some dough. I'd be interested to hear what other people use before I go shopping. Is the Leica televid a favourite?

It is with me, Jon (see various other posts on optics), but many others swear by Swarovski, Nikon, Kowa, Zeiss - it all depends on what you're happy with. Try as many as you can, in all kinds of conditions, not just in a shiny showroom in good lighting. Beg view through other birders' scopes, contrast and compare, and take your time.

HTH

Tony

Jon

Welcome to Bird Forum! I hope this is the first of many postings.

Re: your new scope - unless you need one asap why not go along to the official BF trip to Slimbridge on 9 February when you will be able to not only try out all major scopes in field conditions, but also have on hand two of our experts, Andy Bright and Nigel Blake, to advise you?

The APO77 certainly is a favourite amongst birders... along with the Swarovski AT/ST80HD (now the ATS/STS80HD) and the Kowa 823/824...also consider the Zeiss 85fl (though not if you're a zoom e.p. lover)
There's always plenty of friendly banter between Leica and Swarovski owners (especially on the digiscoping groups)... both great scopes. Leica is considerably heavier than the latest Swaro' but try them all out if possible. Birdfairs are an excellent place to compare, very few shops have the full line-up.
Andy

Jon

Welcome to the forum.

I'll second Peters comments. Come along to Slimbridge and you can use my scope (Swarovski 80HD + 20-60 zoom) to your hearts content and no doubt others will extend the same courtesy.

paj:t:

As has been said many times before, what suits one doesn't necessarily suit another and the other consideration is alwys gonna be what you can afford. There is very little, in my opinion, between the performance of the best and the very best, except megabucks.

Sound advice given earlier in this thread, go to the meet and compare.

Mike

Hi again - and thanks for the friendly welcome! When I've bought optics before I usually go along to Focus Optics near Coventry, as they are great and giving you all the time you need to compare models. However, I like the sound of the Bird Fair - I'll try and make it. Thanks again for taking the time to reply - I'm very impressed with this forum!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back