• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GS815GA advice please. (1 Viewer)

BarryH

I'm thinking of buying one of the Opticron GS815GA scopes and would like advice on their suitability for wildlife and digiscoping. The eyepiece I have in mind is the HDF Zoom 20/60.

I've been a product photographer for a number of years and only really learned of digiscoping when I started birdwatching.

Any help or advice at all would be most appreciated.

I'm thinking of buying one of the Opticron GS815GA scopes and would like advice on their suitability for wildlife and digiscoping. The eyepiece I have in mind is the HDF Zoom 20/60.

I've been a product photographer for a number of years and only really learned of digiscoping when I started birdwatching.

Any help or advice at all would be most appreciated.

I'm not a digiscoper but my understanding is that ED glass is of great benefit when digiscoping. I think the GS has an ED version and there is also the similarly priced Opticron ES80ED which is used by a lot of guys on this forum for digiscoping.

Perry

Hi Barry,

What Perry says about ED glass is correct but you would also be better off on the digiscoping side of things if you were to get a fixed wide angle eyepiece rather than a Hdf Zoom. The best fixed wide angle eyepieces for the job with the GS 815 are the following;

40810 HDF 23XWW
40809 HDF 32XWW

There is also a new FS7 Panasonic Opticron Digiscoping Kit, if you are looking for a good camera kit to do the job;

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/fs7kit.html

Rob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back