• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Passion for Books (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
May I recommend the following selection of books to Forum members. The first is mainly for the Brits, although members who share my interest in languages may also be interested in this themselves. The second will probably only appeal to fellow-Europeans or, again, other language-freaks. The final three might be of interest to anyone, but especially to Gaye who seems to share my love of books!

1. British Birds, their Folklore, Names and Literature. (Francesca Greenoak - ISBN 0-7136-4814-7)

Not only do you get 51 alternative British names for the Dunnock, but also details of the derivation of many British bird names, and the varying ways in which birds have made an impact in British legend. A very interesting alternative to the standard fayre for the bird enthusiast.

2. Guide des Oiseaux de France et d'Europe (R. Peterson et al - ISBN 2-603-00940-0)

This is an excellent French version of the standard European Field Guide. Obviously aimed at French birders, but typically gives the English, German, Dutch, Swedish, Italian and Spanish names along with, of course, the French names.

3. Extinct Birds (Errol Fuller - ISBN 0-19-850837-9)

Superb, if slightly overpriced, book detailing to a greater or lesser extent, the story and history of 80+ species that have become extinct since 1600. Includes perhaps the two most famous extinctions; the Dodo and the unbelievably spectacular demise of the Passenger Pigeon. Food for thought concerning No.4?

4. Threatened Birds of the World.

A superb, pricey(!) and somewhat sobering volume detailing the 1000 or so of the World's bird species considered to be threatened. Rather like an oversized field guide in format.

5. Handbook of the Birds of the World.

The absolute ultimate, in my opinion. This "handbook", for those who don't know, comprises at the moment, 7 HUGE volumes (Vol. 8 is imminent) of a (currently) proposed 18 in total.
It is costing me an arm and a leg - but it is the work I have been looking for since I was a kid. Incredibly detailed, but stops short of the scientific information that, in my opinion, is of interest ony to serious ornitholigists. Only buy this if you share my passion for what it offers - but if you do, buy it direct from the publishers - you'll save pounds (or dollars etc.).

Nos. 1 & 3 were purchased in the UK, and No. 2 in France - but I dare say there's a good chance of finding them on the various Amazon websites.

Nos. 4 & 5 are published by Lynx Edicions in Spain although I seem to recall they have a separate distribution centre for N. America (and perhaps also Australasia). They offer payment by installment, which I have used, and I have experienced absolutely no problems whatsoever with this arrangement. Details can be found at the following web address.

http://www.hbw.com/

These books are my pride and joy. Perhaps they will also be of interest to you.

Birdman

That post is absolutely fascinating. I shall be looking out for these on my travels. Thank you.

Talking of No 3, I was looking at a bird book, published in the 1860s, in a second hand bookshop in Norwich (in Redwell Street). The Great Auk, or Gare Fowl, was listed as 'probably extinct' in the UK. It's frightening to think that this bird was wiped out during the lifetime of people some of the older ones of us on this group could have met, and the Passenger Pigeon during the lifetime of some people still alive. Will 'Homo sapiens' (a misnomer if ever there was one) ever learn ?

Tony

Last edited:
Thank you for this list it is so detailed and you are totally right about a love of books.. my wish would be(if money was no object) would be rooms filled with books of all sorts everywhere and the time needed to read each and everyone...Lee is a great book hound and on cool dreay days we have been known to sit side by side in a room and read all day long.
We sit surrounded in our den by hundreds of books of all sorts and types... it is like being surrounded by good freinds tried and true!

On a book note... I collect chidren's story books as well. I came across a wonderful book some time ago and thinkit is one of a handful of marvellous books for Children. The Illustrations are world class and the story is a beautiful one... this is a book for children of all ages including us!!!
OMG I have just searched high and low for it so I could give you the world cat. # and I cannot find it!!! ACK!
It is called Stella Luna and it is the story of an orphan bat adopted by robins... it is an amazing story. I must go and search again before I have a nervous mismanagement moment!!!!

I cannot believe that when I started this, I forgot to mention the gift I was bought as a leaving present from my last place of work.

For all of you who will find this relevant, I MUST recommend

The Handbook of Bird Identification: Europe and the Western Palaerctic - Madge & Beaman et al (ISBN: 0713639601)

If anyone's interested, Volume 8 of HBW is now available for order - to be published in July

I have just spent the weekend in Stratford Upon Avon were i cam upon a book that goes in to detail about every bird that Shakespere wrote about, it is a lovely book to read even if you are not a Shakespere fan, and the daft thing is i have gone and left there...........

Naughty Kingfisher! Shakespeare wrote about birds quite a lot, BTW. I bet that's a fascinating book.

Incidentally, Linnets featured heavily in Renaissance literature. Any one know why? I don't!

This might be a million miles of the mark, but I'm sure I heard/read somewhere the "Linnet" was just a generic name for a small bird.

Anyone confirm or deny?

Here I am, let me look up my Idioms dictionary for anything on Linnets...... nothing. However, the dictionary says the Linnet got it's name because it eats the flax seeds and the latin name of flax is linum. The French used to call these birds linotte a long time ago. Useful snippet or what?

Very useful, but I'm sure we can get more. Let's see if anyone can come up with anything. What we need is an English scholar who just happens to be a birder!

Here's a start. This is called The Green Linnet, by William Wordsworth.

Beneath these fruit-tree boughs that shed
Their snow-white blossoms on my head,
With brightest sunshine round me spread
Of spring's unclouded weather,
In this sequestered nook how sweet
To sit upon my orchard-seat!
And birds and flowers once more to greet,
My last year's friends together.

One have I marked, the happiest guest
In all this covert of the blest:
Hail to Thee, far above the rest
In joy of voice and pinion!
Thou, Linnet! in thy green array,
Presiding Spirit here today,
Dost lead the revels of the May;
And this is thy dominion.

While birds, and butterflies, and flowers,
Make all one band of paramours,
Thou, ranging up and down the bowers,
Art sole in thy employment:
A Life, a Presence like the Air,
Scattering thy gladness without care,
Too blest with any one to pair;
Thyself thy own enjoyment.

Amid yon tuft of hazel trees,
That twinkle to the gusty breeze,
Behold him perched in ecstasies,
Yet seeming still to hover;
There! where the flutter of his wings
Upon his back and body flings
Shadows and sunny glimmerings,
That cover him all over.

My dazzled sight he oft deceives,
A Brother of the dancing leaves;
Then flits, and from the cottage eaves
Pours forth his song in gushes,
As if by that exulting strain
He mocked and treated with disdain
The voiceless Form he chose to feign,
While fluttering in the bushes.

Rousing ovation for Peter Hayes and his Wordsworth Verse, Andrew is correct about the name Linnet is does indeed come from old French, so stand up Andrew, and many poets have been writing about Linnets ' Linnets o'er the flowering furze' wrote James Thompson

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back