• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strumpshaw (1 Viewer)

Sandra (Taylor)

For a meet-up with a friend driving from near Bury St. Edmunds we have settled on a visit to Strumpshaw Fen where we've never been. We will be approaching from Wells, driving the pretty way on the north coast then down the east coast. This will be this coming Tuesday.

Am I right that there is no refreshment facilities there so we will take our own picnic?

I know it's really idle of me as I could search for this info - but does anyone know roughly how long it will take us to do this drive from Wells?

Wonder if the waxwings will still be at Cromer?

Sandra

Hi Sandra. Yes, unfortunately there are no refreshment facilities there, apart from a little hot drinks machine. There are picnic tables, if the weather is suitable and toilets too!

I am not sure how long it will take to get there from Wells but I would guess at one-and-a-half to two hours. If you visit the AA's website 'theaa.com' you can get a route in a few minutes which should give you a rough idea of the time the journey should take.

One small but important note: make sure you have suitable footwear as there can be some extremely sticky mud on the riverbanks. I hope you have a great time and find plenty to look at. The Snowdrops should be out in the woods now and keep an eye out for the Chinese Water Deer in the water meadows. I hope the weather is kind to you.

Ron

Last edited:
Don't forget Buckenham Marshes are just up the road, so if Strumpshaw is quiet you can always move up there. The staff can give you directions - but it's 5 mins by car or 30min to walk.

Ive now had a look at that route on the map and I wouldnt have thought it would take you much more than an hour and a quarter.

Strumpshaw is well worth a visit - I volunteer there once a month and never get fed up with the place. As NoSpringChicken said there is plenty to see - snowdrops by reception are lovely and dont fgorget to look at the feeders just outside reception as they are usually very busy with Marsh Tit, Chaffinch, Blue and Great Tit and the odd Pheasant sitting on the table!

Otters are showing well at the moment (havent seen one myself unfortunately) as is the Bittern and lots of ducks on the broad in front of reception.

Hope that the weather is kind to you and that you have a good visit.:-O

Ive now had a look at that route on the map and I wouldnt have thought it would take you much more than an hour and a quarter.

Strumpshaw is well worth a visit - I volunteer there once a month and never get fed up with the place. As NoSpringChicken said there is plenty to see - snowdrops by reception are lovely and dont fgorget to look at the feeders just outside reception as they are usually very busy with Marsh Tit, Chaffinch, Blue and Great Tit and the odd Pheasant sitting on the table!

Otters are showing well at the moment (havent seen one myself unfortunately) as is the Bittern and lots of ducks on the broad in front of reception.

Hope that the weather is kind to you and that you have a good visit.:-O

Thanks for the advice Marcia. We are really looking forward to it. And to meeting up there with our friend who we haven't seen for some years. We'll try to keep the chatting down to a minimum when in earshot of anyone else!!

Sandra
:-O

I know it's really idle of me as I could search for this info - but does anyone know roughly how long it will take us to do this drive from Wells?QUOTE]

It depends how far down the East coast you'll be heading, if you go all the way down to Great Yarmouth then you'd be looking at a good 2.5-3 hour journey if the roads are clear and you don't stop to look for birds! I used to live in Martham and Sheringham was nearly an hours drive by the quickest route (via North Walsham) so sticking to the coast adds a lot of time. Unless you want to see the Med Gulls at Yarmouth, I'd head to Acle from West Somerton, that way you stand a chance of seeing Cranes and can knock 30 mins at least off your journey. If I were you though I'd allow a good 5 hours for the trip with time for several stops, you never know what you might see!

Have a good day,

Chris

ChrisBish/Marcia/No Spring Chicken/Harassed Dad

Thanks all for your advice. The track by the river was, indeed, 'sticky mud' and we were all glad of our wellies. Spent a super 4 hours on the reserve (Strumpshaw) with our friend. Part of the riverside track was closed because of flooding/mud.

Visited the first hide for a while (Fen?) which was occupied by 4 birders with cameras. Two otters had "been right in front of the hide two minutes ago". We saw photos on a camera that looked superb (then saw this same man at Titchwell the next day with brilliant photos of the woodcock there, though we did see the bird this time). Had brief views of a bittern flying over the reeds.

Will put a brief report of our visit to north Norfolk on 'Holiday reports' on BF when I've recovered from not seeing the white-front geese from the Joe Jordan hide at Holkham Gap. Found out that evening when my son rang from home (Yorkshire) with the Bird Guides daily report! Missed out on the shore larks too - Lee Evans didn't! But that's another story.

We'll certainly make a return visit there; trusted to Sally Satnav to get us back and that journey only took about 1.25 hrs. And we'll visit Buckenham next time too.

Sandra

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back