• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jelly ID (1 Viewer)

lassa8

United States
I'm not sure if these are jellyfish or comb jellies....if anyone has any idea, please let me know! They were photographed in Alabama in summer 2001.

Attachments

• jellyfish.jpg
    jellyfish.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 203
  • jellyfish2.jpg
    jellyfish2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 166
I'm sure its not a Comb Jelly - doesn't look like anything I see on this side of the Atlantic... will have a quick look for you tomorrow.

I'm confused that I can only see a bell - no tentacles..... perhaps its been munched by a Sunfish or something!

Reminds me most of a compass jelly (Chrysaora)- but it looks thicker in the bell than the spp. we get here..

Imagine this a bit nibbled!

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/archdata/Gershwin_Collins/Ccolorata.JPG

Last edited:
We had a few of those wash up on beaches. One time, one washed up right next to my feet! At first, I thought it was a terrorist attack (I was young...), and later realized that it was a jelly!

The reason I ask if it's a jellyfish (cnidarian) or a comb jelly (ctenophore) is because I remember the locals picking them up out of the water and throwing them at each other without getting stung.

Marine? Marine is any place with water!!!!

Fresh Water or Salt???
I'd say freshwater, judging from lassa8's location...

gthang- the definition of marine is: Of or relating to the sea, and then definition of sea is: a continuous body of salt water.

This organism was was washed up on the seashore on the Gulf of Mexico in Alabama.

A little difficult to tell from the photos, but they may well be egg masses of sand snails. Are they a thick, solid jelly-like substance? Most sea-jellies when they wash ashore don't keep their shape too well, but these look to be maintaining their structure, which points to them being an egg-mass.

Having had bad experiences with jellies (thimble jellies stung my lip and eyelid while in the Bahamas) I wasn't about to touch this thing with my hands...though when I flipped it with some driftwood (to get the top down view) it certainly felt somewhat solid.

Hi Mike and others

I did think of egg masses when I first saw the photos but I'm not sure.

We get similar egg masses from sand snails (Naticidae - Polinices ?) here in
Queensland but they are usually "C-shaped"

Pete

Wouldn't egg masses be attached by the parents to a rock or something to prevent this???

Since this is a jelly (or not...) it's probably going to be extremely hard to ID unless it was in water.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back