• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron 80ED refractor with Nikon D40 (1 Viewer)

This is the third camera I've tried with the Celestron 80ED. The Nikon D40 is better at high ISO than either the Fuji S2 Pro or the Nikon D2H I've tried before. This is with the 600mm Celestron 80ED refractor (not the spotting scope) without any converters or barlow at 400 ISO in good light.

Attachments

• titmouse_48_adb.jpg
    titmouse_48_adb.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 538
Looks a bit underexposed to a Brit. Your light is probably a bit better than ours at this time of the year.

How are the scope & camera attached?

Looks a bit underexposed to a Brit. Your light is probably a bit better than ours at this time of the year.

How are the scope & camera attached?

I was trying to keep from overexposing the breast which was blazing white in the direct sunlight. Today is the first good light we have had here in east Tennessee in over a week.

The camera is attached to the scope using a 2" prime focus t-adapter. Just buy one for your specific camera mount and the nose slides into the extension tube of the scope. Also had to use a 50mm extension tube to achieve focus. See Paul's thread on using DSLR with an astro scope for extensive information on this type of photography. My Celestron 80ED is the same scope as his Skywatcher.

I have the spotting scope (Ultima 100ED). I bought a 1.25" prime focus t-adaptor but it was a fraction too big so returned it.

Here is another from this afternoon. May eventually clone out all the background limbs. Mostly just interested in showing results with different cameras with this scope.

Attachments

• american robin.jpg
    american robin.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 424
Here is another Robin one of my first pictures taken with my Celestron 80ED and Pentax K100 D Super camera. Picture is just cropped. I like this scope esp. for the money.:)

Very nice shots Blue!
Regards,Steve

Attachments

• 5-9-09  80ed dslr & lex 028 crop.jpg
    5-9-09 80ed dslr & lex 028 crop.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
Here is another Robin one of my first pictures taken with my Celestron 80ED and Pentax K100 D Super camera. Picture is just cropped. I like this scope esp. for the money.:)

Very nice shots Blue!
Regards,Steve

It took me a while to get a good percentage of in focus shots. This is really good for one of your first pictures. The quality you get with these scopes for the money is unbelievable. I still wonder why more people aren't using this technique.

Rick

It took me a while to get a good percentage of in focus shots. This is really good for one of your first pictures. The quality you get with these scopes for the money is unbelievable. I still wonder why more people aren't using this technique.

Rick

Thanks Rick I really liked doing this but haven't done it after the first time. There a very few trees around my place, so not much birding activity except on the ground.
Regards,Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back