• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cairns and local areas (1 Viewer)

Selsey Birder

Hi All,

I am planning two weeks in the Cairns area in early November.

I am a UK birder with a wife who likes all wildlife, but is not as birder. I would be delighted for any information or specifically if anybody would be prepared to accompany me to point out all the specialities over a day or two.

I will have transport, a friend visited five years ago (i naturally have all his information) and am aware of the potential of the Tablelands, but that a local guide would be advisable. He was fortunate enough to meet two local birders in the Cairns park on the first Sunday of the month (i understand that this is a regular meeting point) who took him round for an entire day even showing him a golden bowerbird's bower!

I am already aware of the Esplanade (i will be there regularly). If you prefer to send me a pm please feel free to do so - I am heading off to empty my inbox in anticipation now!

Many Thanks

Ian

Take a look at the information available in this bookshop. The owner, Lloyd Nielsen took me birding a day up near Kingfisher park a few years ago, and the owner of Kingfisher park can also arrange guiding AFAIK. A visit (or two or three) up there is highly recommended.

Niels

You might like to contact my old friend Phil Gregory, a professional bird guide, who runs Cassowary House (birders' B&B) in nearby Kuranda. It'd make a good place to stay & Phil would, I'm sure advise (unless he's elsewhere) as to where to go see - www.cassowary-house.com.au

If you are going up to Daintree would fully recommend Red Mill House, have a look at their website. Great birding all round the area and boat trips on the Daintree river are excellent. Google Chris Dahlberg and Red Mill House, both well worth a visit. I think Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Park has changed hands since my last visit but they are still a birding location. I have also been out with Lloyd, he is excellent. Also try Del Richards Fine Feather Tours, he is excellent as well. If you need the URLs drop me a PM.
Phil Gregory's Cassowary House is self explanatory in the name!

Phil

Phil

Thank you to everyone who has replied.

I have booked 3 days at Kingfisher Park and also spoken to Phil Gregory.

More importantly I have arranged to meet Chowchilla (BF member) for a couple of days birding.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated, I also intend to book 3 days on the Atherton tablelands - Chambers Wildlife Refuge?

Ian

A good, if somewhat general, article in this month's 'Birdwatch' by Mark Cocker on birding in Queensland with a particular focus on staying at 'Cassowary House',

Thanks for this thread guys. I am off to Cairns in mid-June for a junket, er, course and am going up several days earlier to have a look around as I've never been there. Very keen to see northern raptors but advice of any good photography spots would be appreciated.

Asked the same question on the other Cairns thread, just thought I'd cover all my bases!

Cassowary House is just brilliant for them, plus loads of Honey-eaters, possibly Papuan Frogmouths and if he's still around, a Red-necked Crake who responds to the name 'cheese'! When I was there four years ago this little guy was still around, and would eat cheese (hence his name) from your hand! at Kingfisher Park, also Papuan Frogmouths, Brahminy Kites, and very tame and occasionally uite aggressive Brush Turkeys! Also loads of mammals and reptiles, including Platypus!

We highly recommend Alan Gillanders. We spent a day birding with him in Sept 09 and it was fabulous.

Georgia & Dan McDonald

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back