• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 85mm Diascope & Nikon D70 Compatability? (1 Viewer)

finabird

Am looking to put together a package using the 85mm Diascope. The cameras I am looking at is the Nikon D70 with the 18-70mm zoom. I have not found anyone who has put together this pair and am looking for input on what results the pair may produce?

finabird said:
Am looking to put together a package using the 85mm Diascope. The cameras I am looking at is the Nikon D70 with the 18-70mm zoom. I have not found anyone who has put together this pair and am looking for input on what results the pair may produce?

I am also trying to do this combination but do not know what kind of adapter to use. It looks like the camera will work fine on the scope without a lens, but how do I attach it?

Wow, two 1st timers. Welcome to Birdforum to both of you. I hope you enjoy your time in this excellent forum.

I have no clue as to what you can use to bring together the camera and scope you are talking about but I have been looking at the scope you both have with a view to buying it. Whilst doing that I came across this adapter at Ace Camera's. I don't know if it would work with your camera. Have a look and see what you think.

http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web...words//recor/1/SearchFor//PT_ID/1/product.asp

BTW how good is this scope?

I don't own the Zeiss scope, but I do have the Leica Apo62, the Swarovski ST 65HD and the ST80HD, and all of them couple nicely to the D70 and the D100 cameras. I'm using the Nikkor 50/1.8 or the 45/2.8 lenses mounted on the camera, then a 52mm to a T ring thread (~42mm) then a home-made adapter between the T thread and the Scope eyepiece. I obtain decent quality images at combined focal lengths of up to 2000mm.
I use the Gitzo 1348 tripod, and a Wimberley head.

yossi said:
I don't own the Zeiss scope, but I do have the Leica Apo62, the Swarovski ST 65HD and the ST80HD, and all of them couple nicely to the D70 and the D100 cameras. I'm using the Nikkor 50/1.8 or the 45/2.8 lenses mounted on the camera, then a 52mm to a T ring thread (~42mm) then a home-made adapter between the T thread and the Scope eyepiece. I obtain decent quality images at combined focal lengths of up to 2000mm.
I use the Gitzo 1348 tripod, and a Wimberley head.

Hi yossi,

why do use both Leica Apo62 and Swarovski ST 65HD? It seems to me they perform quite the same. In other words: which one do you prefer for what kind of task?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

The Leica is sharp and useful for most jobs and is lightweighted, but is range limited on the lower end. I use it for mid range digiscoping. I have for it the X20-60 (X16-48) zoom eyepiece, the X32 (X26) WA eyepiece and the special Maxview eyepiece. I can't get the very long range and the very short range satisfactorily with it. For the Swaro 65 I have the original X20-60 zoom (that is not that great), a X15 and X30 WA eyepieces. However, I use it mostly with the Pentax 21mm wide eyepiece that is similar to the X20 of the Swaro, but allows full zooming through with the CP4500 without vignetting. This enables an approximate 830-3320mm range, which is more versatile. So when I go to a place where I don't know ahead what focal length I'll need, I take this Swaro with me, with only this eyepiece. The ST80HD I use for long range shooting, including some moon and stars shots.
Between those scopes I like the Leica best - and I find the pictures coming out of it sharper and more contrasty than the Swaro 65.
On the other hand, the Swaros with the Plossl adapters are more suitable for DSLR digiscoping, so I have a choice.

Scope quality

Reader said:
Wow, two 1st timers. Welcome to Birdforum to both of you. I hope you enjoy your time in this excellent forum.

I have no clue as to what you can use to bring together the camera and scope you are talking about but I have been looking at the scope you both have with a view to buying it. Whilst doing that I came across this adapter at Ace Camera's. I don't know if it would work with your camera. Have a look and see what you think.

http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web...words//recor/1/SearchFor//PT_ID/1/product.asp

BTW how good is this scope?

Thanks for the welcome, haven't been in town for a while to check the forum.
I have purchased the scope and am in the process of decided on camera & hardware still.
Went last month for a week of travel through the state of Nevada in the back country. The scope has done everything I expected. The crispness of the image and the light gathering abilities seem to be the best I have found.
Before purchasing I comparing the SW, Leica and Zeiss products all side by side at the same sporting goods supplier. The Zeiss I feel had the best image of the 3.
Will write back to the forum when a camera is purchased and tested.

not sure if i can help but may be able to point you in the right direction.
my own set up is Nikon d70 and opticron 80 ED scope. the nikon is fitted with a 'T' piece which is readily available from most comera shops i believe that the screw thread it uses is the old pentax screw thread. this 'T' piece disables all the focusing and metering on the D70 and you have to use the camera in manual mode. opticron supply an adapter (made in Japan)which replaces the eye piece i think it is about a 12x magnification. photos taken show promise when i get used to using the set up. i have checked the web site for zeiss they produce an adapter for their scopes with their own digilux cameras this adapter screws into the filter thread. there is a possibility that stepping rings could be used between the adapter and 'T' ring / nikon camera. i have found that Nikon are going down the same road as opticron and have produced a proper adapter for their scopes for digital/slr models this will give you full metering etc sorry i can't tell you where i saw it i can't find the web site again. there may be a possibility that zeiss will also produce a proper adapter that will replace the eyepiece.

geoff

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back