• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittern (1 Viewer)

joespy

Hia All,
A friend sent me this image of a Bittern that's just caught a fish. Do you reckon the fish is a Tench. The image was taken from the Piper Hide at Pot. Carr.
It's also reported from there that Bitterns have been seen taking Rats during this cold spell.......I didn't realise they were so varied in their food choice. Still I suppose when there's ice over the water and they're hungry ....owt that moves seems to be on the menu...?
Cheers, Joe

Attachments

• Bittern.jpg
    Bittern.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Hia All,
A friend sent me this image of a Bittern that's just caught a fish. Do you reckon the fish is a Tench. The image was taken from the Piper Hide at Pot. Carr.
It's also reported from there that Bitterns have been seen taking Rats during this cold spell.......I didn't realise they were so varied in their food choice. Still I suppose when there's ice over the water and they're hungry ....owt that moves seems to be on the menu...?
Cheers, Joe
Its a Tench, the photo has been brightened so it looks red rather than brown/green.
As to the rats, like Herons, Bitterns are omnivores, anything that goes down, is food!
Nice photo though!

Thanks Alan,
Yes it is a good image it was (he says), only 15m in front of the hide. They've had some excellent viewing of the Bitternfrom there this Winter.
Joe

This looks like the pic that won photo of the week on Birdguides last week. They can/do come really close to Piper Marsh hide at Potteric Carr if you are really lucky (right place/right time and all that).
One was distant viewed from Willow Pool hide yesterday. And distant in flight from Piper Marsh hide later on. Them's the breaks, they will come close when I don't take my camera I'll wager !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back