• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marantz 661 (1 Viewer)

Saburosan

Hello, Fellow recorders

I am off to Belize to the jungle to record dawn sounds in December. I am looking at the Marantz 661 as my field recorder. Any opinions, suggestions, experiences with same or ideas for other? Many thanks for your input.

Ja mata,
Saburo

One of the best and still handy to use in the field (compared to e.g. 671), but maybe overkill. I would suggest this one if you are a scientist.
You have an Edirol R-09 for nearly half the price. This one doesn't come with XLR input, but recordings are still possible in WAV. Widely used by birdwatchers.

I've had one for a year. However, I don't have experience with other devices for comparison. I use it with a Sennheiser ME67.

You have to use class 6 SD cards, otherwise it'll hiccup.
Using rechargeable batteries, I go about 4 hours before I put in a fresh set. I don't think this is ~supposed~ to happen, but the first time the batteries ran out while actively recording, the file in progress was corrupted. I recovered the file, minus the very end, using a copy-paste feature on the unit itself; so no harm, no foul. So, I never push the batteries after that.

I use it under rather "vanilla" conditions... no wet or sub-freezing conditions. It won't be water/rain proof. I'm gentle, so durability isn't tested.

The recording timer (set start time by calendar + clock, and set hour/min duration) is great for night migration. However, it does not record at *low* enough quality to seamlessly use with the (admittedly old) OldBird tools. I use a workaround to lower the quality.

I like the display. I think the interface is good. The bevel with the recording levels is ~okay~. Instead, I set the main display to show recording levels. I find it easier to see in bright light than the bevel.

Built-in speakers are enough for personal listening, but do not project.

The rec/pause/stop buttons are a good size. The Record button has a raised rim for tactile feedback, so can be operated without looking.

It's gotten the job done for me.

Thank you Temmie, Andrew and Buile - all excellent information. I am slowly gaining knowledge of the options. I think that, like all tools, one must become expert within the limitations of any particular configuration. I am still leaning towrd the Marantz - call it product loyalty - but the Edirol is certainly a bargain in comparison. Which ever way I eventually go, I shall be sure to keep you all posted on the success of the expedition, which is nominally a raptor seeking one near Caracol in Belize lead by a local biologist who did his doctoral work in the region. It should be quite rewarding.

Again, thank you all and if you have any other suggestions I am all supercardoid ears.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back