• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cropping and centering... (1 Viewer)

Taco

I just got back today froman amazing weekend at Point Pelee in Ontario Canada. If you havent heard of it, it is a great place in May to pick up warblers, vireos, sparrows, and almost any vagrant possible could come through at any time. One great thing was that many of the birds did not mind you at all, so photographers were plentiful, and a newbie photographer like me had the a great time. Lots of cases, I wasn't totally happy with a shot, and I would try to crop it. I have attempted cropping with Adobe Photoshop LE, but my pictures tend to turn for the worst more often then not. I attached some pictures I took of a Blue-headed Vireo, along with a cropped picture, and another more cropped of a picture. I was sort of worried that the brances in the front might take away from the photo, so I tried cropping. What do you think, does the cropping make it look better, or should I try to keep the quality by not cropping it? I also have read that bird pictures tend to look better when the bird is not totally centered in the picture. Whats the reasoning behind that, and should I try cropping it in a way the the bird is not centered? Hope I wasn't asking to many questions, but any help would help a bunch!
thanks, Taco

Attachments

• B-Hvireocropped.JPG
    B-Hvireocropped.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 243
  • B-Hvireocropped2.JPG
    B-Hvireocropped2.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 229
  • originalb-hvireo.JPG
    originalb-hvireo.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 228
For me the first pic is the best. I believe the bird should be placed off centre so that it is facing the larger area of picture , this is to give the perspective of the subject looking at something , Point Pelee great place.

I like the first one as well. If the bird is facing in one direction, it is more pleasing to the eye to give the viewer the idea that the birds vision is not cut off by the end of the photograph.

Thanks for the comments, I couldn't find the vireo in the database last week, so I'll stick that first one in when I get time.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back