• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australian Ringneck a long way from home (1 Viewer)

dave_6_8

Hey

I spotted some new birds in the garden the other day, they were a pair of Australian Ringnecks. More specifically the 'Twenty-Eight Parrot' or Barnardius zonarius semitorquatus, as identified by their entirely green belly and red frontal band above the bill. If I was living in south-western Australia this would not be an unusual sighting, however I live in Toowoomba in south-east Queensland. I quickly grabbed my camera and took some photo's before they flew away but haven't seen them since.

Any comments or similar sightings?

Thanks, Dave

if they were semitorquatus then it is most likely that they would have been escaped aviary birds rather than natural dispersers

Indeed, I would have to say that they'd be aviary escapees too. But a nice sighting nonetheless

Hi Dave

It would have been a surprise to see those ringnecks.

We are in Toowoomba as well, so hi from some neighbours! Along with our regular lorikeet and honeyeater visitors, we have had a nice few birds in our backyard in the past few weeks including a female satin bowerbird, tawny frogmouth - who seems to like our clothesline a lot, quail (flew away before we could get a really good look) and what seems to be a regular autumn/winter visitor in our yard an eastern spinebill.

Hi Dave, I've seen Superb parrots in Barcelona, so Australian parrots seem common in aviaries, even species that you'd be surprised to see!

Some great pictures for identification. Two male birds so there will not be any new colony in your area. Thanks for posting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back