• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Castlemill Sluice walk on the 21st March 2010 (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Castlemill Sluice walk on the 21st March 2010

Dave went for a trip to Old Warden in the morning. Once he came back to the house, we decided to go out for a walk around Castlemill Sluice in the afternoon. The weather was so nice today and a bit of exercise was on the cards for us as creatures of habit

So we set off about 1pm in the afternoon and we passed by Barkers Lane with the endless grouping of birds of all species that are around at the moment. Of course the House Sparrows where the stars of the show, not to mention the Robins singing along with the Blackbirds, Starlings, and Song Thrushes adding their beautiful music to all the twittering and the singing going on throughout the area. The sun was up and bright and it felt although there was a definite improvement in the weather.

A Pied Wagtail flies over our heads, and continues chirruping and talking Waggie language while in full flight. The same bird lands on a roof and continues his song. What plucky little birds that they are and they are just so cute in their appearance too. Never tire of their antics.

We make our way through Tesco at Riverside, and along towards the old MFI store on the roundabout on the A428. We cross the road and pass through the public barriers only to see that there was a new sign post showing the lay out of the area. We where both disappointed to see that one of the Bridleway gates had been vandalised already (the gates are new). I really hope this area is not going to be spoilt by this delinquent behaviour of the certain few members in our society.

Just as we walked towards the next gate a large Bumblebee flew past us. He was some size and it was good to be able to see this very attractive insect was about once more. Nice to see nature back on course after the long cold winter that we had only a little over a month ago.

Lots of Rooks, and Carrion Crows moved about in the fields where the horses reside and kept their heads down to concentrate on what they where eating in amongst the grassland.

We arrived at the Castlemill Sluice and looked over the first area of water. By now the sunlight was strong, caused the water to shimmer and it made it hard to see any Wildlfowl at all. Even the scope would not help as we where blinded by the strong light against the water. The water level was high as it was last time we paid a visit which was a while ago now.

We could see 2 Great Crested Grebes, lots of Mallards, and a large flock of Tufted Ducks (x20) or so. A few Gulls moved about. The Black Headed Gulls where there and a couple of Common Gulls.

We moved on towards the bridge, and under the Motorway. We continued to walk and past by a couple of Robins singing their songs. A few Long Tailed Tits scuffled about in the bushes close to us . Their 3 tone call was very distinctive to hear. The place was alive with Goldfinches tinkling lovely calls, and I could see why as I could see a lot of Teasel around for foodstuff. Just what they like to eat.

We reached the T-junction and took the right turn towards Priory Park. We discussed walking left to Sandy sometime in the future and I would love to do that walk. Another up coming new adventure for us once more, and a different place to discover in the near future – great!!

As we turned right I could hear my first Skylark of the spring in the nearby field. Such a sweet song and it reminded Dave and I of our childhood. I could hear other Skylark’s in the other fields all around…they seemed to be everywhere fighting for their territory. They seem to like this part of the countryside and it gives them what they need. I counted 4 Skylarks in all in a small area between the signpost and the bridge over the motorway so that is saying how many bird are in the area. They might have been more but and this is all I could count at the time.

We reached the next area of water and it had another group of Tufted Ducks. Great Crested Grebes, Coots, Oyster Catchers, Lapwings, a Cormorant, and three very colourful Cock Pheasants standing on the bank close to the water.

We continued walking past two large buck Rabbits in the field nearby and tried to take a picture but no joy. The Rabbits sensed our presence, and move on into the undergrowth. A Great Spotted Woodpecker past overhead calling as the bird moved on away from us over the nearby fields

Once in the wooded area the place lit up with bird songs from Great tits, Blue Tits, Goldfinches, Chaffinches, Blackbirds, Song Thrushes – the place was alive and it felt good to walk though. We arrived at the Beefeater Restaurant, and had a three course meal as a treat – of course and the ‘resident’ Pied Wagtail that likes seem to be around the building each time we go for a meal or a drink.

We loved our walk, but we felt there was a lack of activity in the wildlife department. We need to come back in the next few weeks when nature will be at its best. Looking forward to the next walkabout now in a few weeks time or so.

Not too many pictures as it was one of those days - next time maybe. :t:

Regards

Kathy
x

Attachments

• IMG_1939.JPG
    IMG_1939.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1940.JPG
    IMG_1940.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1943.JPG
    IMG_1943.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back