• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go Easter 2005 (1 Viewer)

Alf King

I am seeking inspiration for a new place to visit for a birding holiday in the easter holiday 2005 (late March to early April). I've done Mallorca many time, Algarve also, Lasbos (great), Florida, SE Arizona, Kenya and a bit of India.

My wife and I are in our fifties with all of the limitations that implies.

My thinking at the moment is centering around Sri Lanka but I'm also considering Texas, Cuba and Costa Rica. Any comments good or bad would be welcomed as would any suggestions no matter how off the wall.

Cheers,

How about Morocco - excellent in spring. Or Egypt - great birds coupled with the archaeology if you are interested. The Himalayas - either northern India, Nepal or Bhutan. Hong Kong - waders in abundance. Cyprus - friendly place, very good in spring. Syria - see the new Bald Ibis site and a few WP specialities such as Iraq Babbler and Red-wattled Lapwing.

Costa Rica and Sri Lanka would be good too. Cuba I am not sure how easy it is to get around on your own - petrol can be a problem; might be worth using a tour agency such as Havanatour.

Steve

How about Bhutan to see the Ibis bill ideal time during late March and April. Other great birds you can see during the time are white bellied heron, Back necked cranes, Wards trogon, Beautiful nuthatch, Rufous necked hornbill and many other species.

We running a 15 days birding tour during the time. The group will be 7 members (matured travelers). A couple and a lady has already booked for this trip. We can be contacted at email; [email protected]

Bhutanbirds.

Last edited:
Why not try Northern Cyprus for nesting bee eater and hobby ,cyprus wheatear /warbler,wallcreeper etc,Peter Flint the local birder is very helpful.

I'd love to know what being in one's 50's implies. I'm in my 60's and haven't noticed anything yet, except the women don't leap after me any more...

C'mon over to Japan and let's have a look at your debilities while I show you a few lifers.

I suppose that it implies a more mature approach to birding that doesn't limit the experience to listing and nothing more. The experience of new and different surroundings coupled with different culture is also a major comonent for us.

Less pompously, we tend to like accomodation that's a bit more comfortable than that which we would have accepted 30 years ago and too many 5.00 a.m. starts can get a little tiring.

Some good suggestions so far thanks. I've been to Cyprus on a couple of occasions but had family in tow then - could be worth a revisit maybe, but if I was heading to the Eastern Med I'd deffinitely return to Lesbos. Sri Lanka is currently looking the favourite but I continue to be intrigued by Cuba.

More replies would be very welcome.

Morocco is a beautiful place and very easy birding too.
Lots of cultural things to do and lovely food.

Turkey is still a great birding country despite being overlooked a bit these days

Northern Greece likewise

My mates published a guide to birding Cuba but it's out of print now I'm afraid. They found it fairly easy and stayed in some lush places too.....

Its not too bad to get petrol in Cuba if you speak Spanish... and are comfortable with black market trading. It does often involve visting every other house in the village and getting a couple of litres at each house!

Its such a huge place - I'd go twice - one West and once East

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back