• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree Creeper (1 Viewer)

Hi Joe

I have seen them in Essex - Shut Heath Wood, woodland in Birch many years ago, and from memory I think also possibly Fingringhoe Wick.

I have seen them all over Essex. They are not that uncommon, just secretive and well camouflaged. Try to keep your eyes open for movement close to the tree trunk, they tend to move up and round in a spiral pattern. Thorndon countryside park was particularly good I seem to remember.
Tom

They are not that uncommon, just secretive and well camouflaged. Try to keep your eyes open for movement close to the tree trunk, they tend to move up and round in a spiral pattern.

Indeed, the ones I have seen tend to favour the other side of the tree trunk once they realise I am there!

I've seen a few on the outskirts of Chelmsford and at Warley Place. They're very hard to spot, especially if your hearing means the calls are difficult to hear!

Up in Suffolk Christchurch Park in Ipswich is excellent for them, good population and you can sometimes get very close!

Closest I've seen one was about 4 feet away, woods west of seventy acres lake north of Waltham Abbey. Went straight round the other side and vanished.

Saw one this morning at Lyndford Arboretum (but that's in Suffolko:D).

That's pretty cool - don't think I've seen one at the Common but I've only been there infrequently. Wish my high frequency hearing was better as I really struggle to hear birds like treecreepers and Goldcrests, which makes finding them rather more difficult!

i too have seen them all over essex
Weald & thorndon country park and warley wt are all good sites around brentwood
have also seen them at hanningfield a few years ago,belhus CP(near aveley)
also shutheath and all over epping forest,hainult country park has a good population as well

went to south weald cp today,had 3 within 100 yards of the fishing lake,also 2 nuthatch and lesser spotted woodpecker,not much else about apart from 6 common buzzards on the thermals around 2.30pm

I saw one at EWT Hanningfield reserve on the 22nd October on an oak tree outside the first hide out from the visitor centre. I was told that there was a Treecreeper about so I stood and waited for about 5 minutes and one appeared from nowhere. Another lifer. :))

Thanks for the info on the Nuthatch and LSW, I'll bear that in mind.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back