• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morocco - other wildlife (1 Viewer)

Jhanlon

I've just returned from Morocco and am having some trouble identifying some of the mammals, reptiles & amphibians we saw. Does anyone have a good online resource for this such as a comprehensive photo gallery (or a particularly good book)?

Hi,

For reptiles there is Bons & Geniez (1996) which is an atlas with distributional maps for all species; it includes also a photo for each species. It is bilingual French – Spanish book with an extended English summary. For reptiles & amphibians could you upload the photos, a friend of mine can help you identify them.

Bons J. & Geniez P. 1996. Amphibiens et reptiles du Maroc (Sahara occidental compris). Atlas biogéographique. Asociación Herpetologica Española, Barcelona, 319 p.

For Saharan wildlife (mammals, reptiles & amphibians and many groups of insects) you can check GERES website. It contains photos and other info.

Regards

that's great Mohamed, thanks. I've uploaded the photos to Surfbirds
http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gallery/display.cgi?gallery=gallery22
and
http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gallery/display.cgi?gallery=gallery19
Will take a look at that website to see if it can shed some light on the issue. Let me know if you have problems viewing the galleries above.

cheers
James

Hi,

For reptiles there is Bons & Geniez (1996) which is an atlas with distributional maps for all species; it includes also a photo for each species. It is bilingual French – Spanish book with an extended English summary. For reptiles & amphibians could you upload the photos, a friend of mine can help you identify them.

Bons J. & Geniez P. 1996. Amphibiens et reptiles du Maroc (Sahara occidental compris). Atlas biogéographique. Asociación Herpetologica Española, Barcelona, 319 p.

For Saharan wildlife (mammals, reptiles & amphibians and many groups of insects) you can check GERES website. It contains photos and other info.

Regards

Hi James
I can help you identify the species of amphibians and reptiles of Morocco.
Gecko spp = it’s Oudri's Fan-footed Gecko : Ptyodactylus oudrii
toad spp, From the dorsal side, I can say that this is Pseudepidalea boulengeri. Because it has a more or less squat and a less pointed snout than other species of Pseudepidalea Brongersma. But if you have another photo of the underside you can check for spots or not? because in Ps. Brongersmai, there are spots on the underside, so they are absent in Ps. boulengeri.

Regards
Mohamed

Thanks for that (there are two toad pics - are they both same species?? Sadly I have no photos of the underside) Any idea of what the others are? (they run onto page 2 of the gallery as others have added more pics which push the older ones back). I worked out the gecko from web photos and came to same conclusion.

Hi James
I can help you identify the species of amphibians and reptiles of Morocco.
Gecko spp = it’s Oudri's Fan-footed Gecko : Ptyodactylus oudrii
toad spp, From the dorsal side, I can say that this is Pseudepidalea boulengeri. Because it has a more or less squat and a less pointed snout than other species of Pseudepidalea Brongersma. But if you have another photo of the underside you can check for spots or not? because in Ps. Brongersmai, there are spots on the underside, so they are absent in Ps. boulengeri.

Regards
Mohamed

Sorry James, I did not see the next page,
Another toad spp, it’s Crapaud Pantherin (Bufo mauritanicus),
frog spp, it’s Mediterranean Tree Frog and Stripeless Tree Frog: (Hyla meridionalis),
Common chameleon, the Common Chameleon (Chamaeleo chamaeleon) is the only species of Morocco,
Lizard spp, The Red-tailed Spiny-footed Lizard (Acanthodactylus erythrurus), the lizard is characterized by the presence of three complete sets of scales in the towers after fingers legs.
Spanish terrapin, it’s turtle Semi-Aquatic (Mauremys leprosa).
Regards
Mohamed

Sorry James, I did not see the next page,
Another toad spp, it’s Crapaud Pantherin (Bufo mauritanicus),
frog spp, it’s Mediterranean Tree Frog and Stripeless Tree Frog: (Hyla meridionalis),
Common chameleon, the Common Chameleon (Chamaeleo chamaeleon) is the only species of Morocco,
Lizard spp, The Red-tailed Spiny-footed Lizard (Acanthodactylus erythrurus), the lizard is characterized by the presence of three complete sets of scales in the towers after fingers legs.
Spanish terrapin, it’s turtle Semi-Aquatic (Mauremys leprosa).
Regards
Mohamed

excellent, thank you, it has been hard doing this without a field guide.
The lizard is very common - I take it it is one of the most numerous species in Morocco?
Are you sure the frog is Hyla meridionalis? Web shots seem to show a brighter creature with blunter snout and obvious ear patch. It did not strike me a tree frog (though I'm no expert).
There were many frogs nearby and I thought they might be Rana ridibunda (which we have naturalised in the UK). Could it be a young (unspotted) one of these?

regards
James

Hi James

A good book for mammals is

Aulagnier S, Haffner P, Mitchell-Jones AJ, Moutou F and Zima J (2009) Mammals of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. A&C Black, London.

Obviously it covers Morocco, but I find it is the guide I now use for Europe. Text, range map and illustrations are all together, and for this reason alone it's worth the money! It's a good book anyway.

Mohamed seems to be doing a great job with your herps

I almost forgot - I think you are correct with the Fat Sand Rat.

cheers Mike, I'll look into buying that book (trying to limit books as we're running out of space!) I settled on fat sand rat earlier today - I had doubts before but think I judged the size wrong. Mohamed has really helped with this lot anyway. I nearly brought along a couple of Sherman traps - wish I had now - would have been great to catch a gerbil in the desert instead of gimpsing them in the car headlights.

Hi James,

Regarding the Common Acanthodactylus (Acanthodactylus erythrurus) is one of the species with a wide distribution in Morocco.
For the image of the frog, it is very difficult to be determined from this photo, which I think was the first view is the absence of the middorsal line, which removes to Rana ridibunda. But if we focus on the position of the eyes, which are very close to each other, we can say that this is a species of the genus Rana! It is a complex of frogs in North Africa!
PS: For sure if you have a photo of members of the previous case, it can help for identification. The fingertips of previous legs in H. meridionalis are equipped with adhesive discs.

regards
Mohamed

Hi James,

Regarding the Common Acanthodactylus (Acanthodactylus erythrurus) is one of the species with a wide distribution in Morocco.
For the image of the frog, it is very difficult to be determined from this photo, which I think was the first view is the absence of the middorsal line, which removes to Rana ridibunda. But if we focus on the position of the eyes, which are very close to each other, we can say that this is a species of the genus Rana! It is a complex of frogs in North Africa!
PS: For sure if you have a photo of members of the previous case, it can help for identification. The fingertips of previous legs in H. meridionalis are equipped with adhesive discs.

regards
Mohamed

I think that's the only photo I have - I guess I'll put the frog down as Rana spp - we have a range of them here in the UK consisting of introduced marsh (particularly variable) and pool frogs with edible (a hybrid species from the other two) also present. Thanks for your comments - I saw your post about the Dunn's larks nr Merzouga - v frustrating as we drove right past them several times!

I think that's the only photo I have - I guess I'll put the frog down as Rana spp - we have a range of them here in the UK consisting of introduced marsh (particularly variable) and pool frogs with edible (a hybrid species from the other two) also present. Thanks for your comments - I saw your post about the Dunn's larks nr Merzouga - v frustrating as we drove right past them several times!

hello James
This is not me that posted the comment about the Dunn's larks nr Merzouga? He is a friend (Acrocephalus).
Regards
Mohamed

Also I have a few record shots of lizards and toads from Morocco (not necessarily identifiable). I don't know anything about lizards or toads myself, so I'd appreciate any help.

Locations:
1. Near Tarfaya
2. Near Ouarzazate
3. Near Awserd
4. Near Ouarzazate
5. Oued Massa

Attachments

• Lizard1.jpg
    Lizard1.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 199
  • Lizard2.jpg
    Lizard2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 212
  • Lizard3.jpg
    Lizard3.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Lizard4.jpg
    Lizard4.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Lizard5.jpg
    Lizard5.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 192
Locations:
1.-2. Oasis Lemseyed (near Laayone)
3.-4. Near Ouarzazate
5. Near Tazenakht

Attachments

• Toad1a.jpg
    Toad1a.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 214
  • Toad1b.jpg
    Toad1b.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 187
  • Toad2a.jpg
    Toad2a.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Toad2b.jpg
    Toad2b.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 187
  • Toad3.jpg
    Toad3.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 178
Hi CAU,

Photo 1 : this is Golden Fringe-fingered Lizard: Acanthodactilus aureus.
Photo : 2 + Photo : 4. (Near Ouarzazate) it’s a Bibron’s agama, Agama impalearis.
Photo : 3. Near Awserd, it’s Fringe‐toed lizard: Acanthodactilus dumerili. But I'm not sure 100%, identified mainly based on distrubution, because Acanthodactylus maculatus is somewhat ressembless this species but is distributed farther to the north (few Km to south of Layoun is the sothernmost limite of A. maculatus).
Photos 4. Oued Massa. The Spotted Fringe-fingered Lizard : Acanthodactylus maculatus.

regards
Mohamed

Also I have a few record shots of lizards and toads from Morocco (not necessarily identifiable). I don't know anything about lizards or toads myself, so I'd appreciate any help.

Locations:
1. Near Tarfaya
2. Near Ouarzazate
3. Near Awserd
4. Near Ouarzazate
5. Oued Massa

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back