• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Is 60 (1 Viewer)

MARK225

Hi to everyone I’m new to birding and have just got a new OPTICRON IS 60 as it was all I could afford as I only work part time I paid £220 + £25 for a tripod, with a (40918s)18-45x eyepiece, I’m very happy with it at low magnification at 20x but would like to know if a more powerful fixed eyepiece say a 72x (40861s) or a 50x (40817s)would work well with the IS 60 better than the (40918s)18-45x eyepiece so I could do a little star gazing as well, thanks mark.

PS, what are your opinions on the IS60, is it a good scope. ;)

I don't know about star-gazing, but I think you have a fine scope for birding. Hope you find plenty with it! Opticron scopes are great value and offer a very clear image.

The IS60 is a cracking little scope to start out with - a nice light scope with excellent optics. I would say that neither of the fixed lenses you'd mentioned would be any good for birding - the magnification would be too high you would get a lot of shake and the light gathering would be poor. A fixed eyepeice with a mag of about 25x may be useful as the field of view will be wider than on the zoom, which is great for general viewing (and also digiscoping).

it's a great light scope that won't get on your nerves weightwise as you carry it round.

eyepiecewise, you might like to try a fixed mag at 20x or 30x if Opticron do one - it's always a temptation to want a high magnification but they nearly always become redundant as people prefer the larger brighter image of the lower fixed mag.

Tim Allwood said:
eyepiecewise, you might like to try a fixed mag at 20x or 30x if Opticron do one

If? We are talking about Opticron here !! They do loads!! There is a dedicated IS fixed lens 25x BUT you can buy one of the HR or HDF lenses for the IS60 (&50). You need to buy an adapter to use these lenses costs £3.

btw the zoom is 18-54x on the 60 and 15-45 on the 50

is60 scope

I was looking for a lightweight alternative to my Kowa 823 which altho8ugh optically superb was starting to become heavilly tiresome on long birding days. After testing several models I plumped for the IS60. I think it offers the best looks, feel, weight and performance for the price, and despite being outsold by the mighty midget I feel beets this model hands-down. I have recently changed the IS 18-54 zoom (which I felt was a little stiff to use and had a narrow field of view for spectacle wearing) to the 15-48 HDF. This seems to suit the IS60 really well with great performance throughout the range, only marginnally falling off above 40x, but still with a very usable image. Also this eyepiece has greatly improved the poor close focus of the original eyepiece which snow eems to be down to about 4-5m or so from the original 11-12m.

Also I have complimented it with a new travel tripod from Velbon Delta. This is really a superb bit of kit which although will never outperform a standard heavy duty tripod, is a great lightweight alternative that can be used with a straight through scope up to a height of about 5' 10". It folds to about 400mm long or so, so can easily be packed with scope into a rucksack or the like, and is really usable in hides!

hope these comments help.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back