• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Svartådalen - Sweden's Black River Valley (1 Viewer)

VC65_Birder

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of birding in the Svartådalen / 'Black River Valley' area in central Sweden?

I'm going there in early June, and other than hearing stories about how good the area is, I can't find any gen! At all!!

I'd really appreciate any info on good sites for birding and other natural history in this area (I'm going to stay at Salbohed). In particular, I'm really keen to find the well-reported site where Great Grey Owl is seen hunting most spring/early summer evenings.

Many thanks in advance!

VB

I bird Svartådalen now and then, mainly in spring on the flooded areas SW of Salbohed. I also visit the lake Fläcksjön now and then for terns. It's in general a good area but a bit difficult, IMO. In that time of the year I generally visit Asköviken SW of the town Västerås when in the area.

Edit: The info about the whereabouts of the GGO is restricted so can't help you there.

Last edited:
Hi Wachtel & Gavia, thanks very much for the information. Very much appreciated!

I've create a map in GoogleMaps to add in the information I've found out. I'd really appreciate any more detail on

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?f=...214205855197315564.0004847376c95d78dcc21&z=12

Wachtel, one further question, you mentioned going to Asköviken in June. I could easily call in as I drive up from Stockholm - what occurs at this site? What makes it worth visiting - I don't know anything about it!

Thanks again!

VC

Asköviken isn't as good in June as in spring but you can easily check for bird records on this site:

Report system for birds in Sweden

Edit: On the link that Gavia Stellata refered to above there is also a map at this link "Karta över de vanligaste observationsplatserna i Svartådalen"

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back