• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdrace? (1 Viewer)

I've done it the last two years and it's a great dayout especially when uve got another team to compete againest.I was doing it again this year but couldn't get team together.I no pete antrobus,john gregory,malc curtin and fred fearne are going to do it next Saturday!

Four man team and plenty of preparation helps.knowing alot of birders in Cheshire they helped us with sightings throughout the day.Gutted can't do it this year but doing it a week earlier this year than the two previous so total mighnt not be as high

I no pete antrobus,john gregory,malc curtin and fred fearne are going to do it next Saturday!

Four man team and plenty of preparation helps.knowing alot of birders in Cheshire they helped us with sightings throughout the day.Gutted can't do it this year but doing it a week earlier this year than the two previous so total mighnt not be as high

Shame they have not got any competition.

CB

Last year Petes team won on 140 species,we came second on 136 and my mates from sandbach flashes on there first try saw 113 species.I must admit its a gruelling 24 hours but well worth it!

Bird race eh? done a few but the county isn't great for it really species wise...

Pete Antrobus - aka 'tripod?' I remember that name, i used to walk around Moore with Colin, his Uncle/dad possibly?

Bird race eh? done a few but the county isn't great for it really species wise...

From recollection the record is 149 species with only Norfolk, Suffolk and Yorkshire (i think) holding bigger totals. That said i'm talking the early 1990's but we have probably gained as many new species as we have lost.

CB

Pete Antrobus - aka 'tripod?' I remember that name, i used to walk around Moore with Colin, his Uncle/dad possibly?

Thats the one. Ended up with 131 species yesterday and missed Ring Ouzel & Wood Warbler in eastern hills. Missed Whinchat at Leasowe due to dodgy directions & Little Owl that had shown everynight last week except for the most important one............

Did manage to pin down a Lesser-spotted Woodpecker for them though!

Attachments

• Lesser Spot5 010510.jpg
    Lesser Spot5 010510.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 51
Thats the one. Ended up with 131 species yesterday and missed Ring Ouzel & Wood Warbler in eastern hills. Missed Whinchat at Leasowe due to dodgy directions & Little Owl that had shown everynight last week except for the most important one............

Did manage to pin down a Lesser-spotted Woodpecker for them though!

Ring Ousel have been quite hard to see in the hills this year. Went looking for Wood Warblers at their traditional sites and no sign of them.

CB

No PhilW did. See his blog for details. 130 is about what I would expect for a Cheshire team.

CB

Having done many Cheshire Day Lists over the past years I would expect 140 to be a more reasonable score. Thats what we achieved last year to win the Birdwatch 2009 Big Day title and we still remain undefeated British Champions:king: as this years competition for reasons only known to BW Mag was not run.:eek!:thanks for telling everybody:C
This years score was not as high as previous years mainly due to the lack of stuff to go for (probably due to the crap Spring we're havin) only 157 species in the County the previous day, 5% of which you'd be extremely jammy to see anyway.
Still a fine effort if I say so myself.
Good luck to the Sandbach Lads next week :t:

McShifty B :)

Hi folks
yes I would agree, 140+ is a good score these days.
I was a memeber of the team that did the 149 back on May 2nd 1993). As commented you need folks to have "pinned down" various species and we had watchers on the Wirral and at Frodsham and Sandbach helping us out. It was the year of the Black-winged Stilts at IMF, and we got Temmincks Stint, Goshawk, Great Northern and Black throated Diver, and Mank Shearwater as bonuses on the day, and still connected with lingering wintering birds like Purple sandpiper and Goldeneye and that outrageous Ring necked Parakeet at Poynton was still alive then ! back then we only had one confirmed site for Buzzard.

Fantastic fun but very tiring!

Cheers

Hugh

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back