• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

not enough moths (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
But still plenty.
I think I've had several of them before but I'm not sure of these:
(sorry about the third one, it was basically white with some faint markings and hopeless to photograph in the greenhouse where it was resting).
.....more to follow!!

Attachments

• micro1.jpg
    micro1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 98
  • micro2.jpg
    micro2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 100
  • moth10.jpg
    moth10.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 89
  • moth1-small.jpg
    moth1-small.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 70
  • moth3-small.jpg
    moth3-small.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 81
The fourth one looks like a scorched wing to me?

Attachments

• moth4a.jpg
    moth4a.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 90
  • moth5.jpg
    moth5.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 100
  • mothc.jpg
    mothc.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 85
  • poss-scorched_wing-small.jpg
    poss-scorched_wing-small.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 86
Hi Ken, off the top of my head:

1) Tortrix sp.
2) Yeuch!
3) Wave sp - possibly Mullein
4) Coxcomb Prominent
5) Mocha sp. possibly Blair's
6) Pale-shouldered Brocade?
7) May Highflyer
8) Scorched Wing

And these for confirmation, please:
1) Early grey
2) Lime hawkmoth
3) Flame shoulder
4) Pale prominent
5) White Ermine

Attachments

• early_grey6.jpg
    early_grey6.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 71
  • lime_hawkmoth.jpg
    lime_hawkmoth.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 90
  • flame-shoulder.jpg
    flame-shoulder.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 82
  • pale_prominent4.jpg
    pale_prominent4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 82
  • white-ermine.jpg
    white-ermine.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 81
CJW said:

1) Tortrix sp.
2) Yeuch!
4) Coxcomb Prominent
7) May Highflyer
8) Scorched Wing

There are 9 pics. The missing one looks like a pug and I've been identifying things that look like that as Common Pug based on the features in the butchered photo attached (sorry Ken).

Attachments

• c_pug.jpg
    c_pug.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 89
I can't add anything to what CJW has already said so I'm off beating for Purple Hairstreak Larvae. CJW's 'yeuch' looks like a Caddis Fly from here.lol.

Harry Eales.

thanks, Chris, although there seems to be one missing!
At lunch time I saw a bright orange moth flying along the edge of some woodland (hawthorn and oak). It was about 1" across. Any idea what it could be?

Surreybirder said:
thanks, Chris, although there seems to be one missing!
At lunch time I saw a bright orange moth flying along the edge of some woodland (hawthorn and oak). It was about 1" across. Any idea what it could be?
Oops sorry! I think the 'missing one' may be a Common Pug. Can't help you with your day flyer sorry.

Ken, I'll attempt to fill in couple gaps.
The first Tortrix looks like Epiphyas postvittana, (Light brown apple moth)
No. 3 I think is Common Wave, because I can just make out the 'feathered' antennae
I wouldn't be convinced that no. 6 is Pale-Shouldered Brocade, but I can't come up with anything anyway.

CJW said:

1) Tortrix sp.
2) Yeuch!
4) Coxcomb Prominent
7) May Highflyer
8) Scorched Wing

Blair's mocha hasn't been recorded in Surrey for 20+ years. If it's not a birch mocha, it's likely to cause some excitement (assuming it is a mocha!) as mocha and false mocha are both listed as rarities here. Any views, anyone? :frog:

Surreybirder said:
Blair's mocha hasn't been recorded in Surrey for 20+ years. If it's not a birch mocha, it's likely to cause some excitement (assuming it is a mocha!) as mocha and false mocha are both listed as rarities here. Any views, anyone? :frog:

Only one 'mocha' in Ireland which is birch, and I've yet to record it. But in my opinion from the books, your one looks like Birch Mocha, so perhaps not so much excitement afterall.

Angus T said:
Only one 'mocha' in Ireland which is birch, and I've yet to record it. But in my opinion from the books, your one looks like Birch Mocha, so perhaps not so much excitement afterall.

mocha do about nothing, then!

Surreybirder said:

Hello Ken,
I think that if the colours of your posted photograph accurately represents the moth you have taken, then in my humble opinion it is the Birch Mocha.
To be certain, if you still have the specimen take it to your Guru and ask his opinion. Blair's Mocha is much more of an orange shade than that in your photograph. If you haven't got it now, I'm sure that with your luck you will have another dozen or so in the next few days. lol.

Whichever species it is, I don't any of them up here.

Harry Eales.

Harry, I think the colour is pretty accurate... the egg box looks about right!
I'm making the most of the mild weather, I've got the trap running again tonight. If I get a mocha that looks orange, I'll pop it in the fridge for a while and then take some photos in daylight!
All the best
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back