• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The moths that the bat missed (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I could see quite a large bat swooping around at the limits of the space illuminated by my MV light, last night. However, he didn't get all the moths.
Here's a few for ID, please. More may follow!

Attachments

• microc.jpg
    microc.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 136
  • moth 7b.jpg
    moth 7b.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 116
  • moth2.jpg
    moth2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 111
  • moth3.jpg
    moth3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
5 more

Attachments

• moth5-small.jpg
    moth5-small.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 121
  • moth6-small.jpg
    moth6-small.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 112
  • mothr-small.jpg
    mothr-small.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 109
  • mothw.jpg
    mothw.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I think the first two are oak hook-tip and may highflier but what about the pugs???
thanks, Harry, Angus, Brian and Chris. Usual rates?

Attachments

• poss-oak-hook_tip-small.jpg
    poss-oak-hook_tip-small.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 96
  • poss-May_highflyer-small.jpg
    poss-May_highflyer-small.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 96
  • pug.jpg
    pug.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 111
  • pugb-small.jpg
    pugb-small.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 124
  • pugc.jpg
    pugc.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 112
1) ?
2) ?
3) Pine beauty
4) Clouded Bordered Brindle
5) Shuttle-shaped dart
6) Pine beauty
7) Clouded Bordered Brindle
8) Knotgrass
9) Clouded Bordered Brindle
10) May Highflyer

Thanks, Chris. You are so quick that you'd posted your answers before I'd noticed that I had put a couple of pix up of the same moth and removed the duplicates! But you've given me enough to go on.
The variety in May is astounding. I've hardly had more than one or two of any species in the last week or so but still added about 15 new species for the garden, not counting unidentified micros!
Ken

11) Pebble Hooktip
12) May Highflyer
13) Common Pug
14) Common Pug
15) Hmmm, could be Double-striped but need to see it dorsally.

I had a bit of fun with one of these last year and I think both the pugs (ignoring the probable Double-striped) might be White-spotted. The second one certainly looks to have a good white mark on the thorax. There should also be white marks on the side of the abdomen, which the eye of faith might pick out in the second photo.

Hi Ken,
I agree with Chris on the ID's but as to 1 and 15 I haven't got any idea, 15 is at a bad angle with insufficient wing visible to make more than a guess.

I'm still getting very poor catches in comparison with previous years, e.g. last night produced the following list.

Brimstone 1
Knot Grass 1
Flame Carpet 2
Spruce carpet 1
Scalloped Hazel 1
Water Carpet 4
Rivulet 8
Lesser Swallow Prominent. 1
Small Angle Shades. 1
I live in a very small country village, situated in a well wooded valley, surrounded by Oak, Birch, Sallow, Poplar, Alder and numerous other larval foodplants. Perhaps it's the new Sodium street lighting that's causing the problem? (there is a road at the end of my garden).

It's certainly not a shortage of moths in the vicinity, yesterday whilst beating Oak I had hundreds of moth larvae tumble into the tray as well as the Purple Hairstreak butterfly larvae I was looking for, and I was only a few hundred yards from home.

I do have a resident Bat population but seldom have more than three or four over the trap during any evening. It can't be the size of my garden either, it's 125' x 30' and is basically a wild garden and has always produced considerable catches in the past. I have tried replacing my MV bulb but without any change in moth numbers.

Perhaps a change of venue will work, I will have to see what National Moth Night produces this weekend.

Harry Eales.

Lucky you I had my best ever catch two nights ago
Angle Shades
Scalloped Hazel
Light Brown Apple Moth
this was after following the advice you gave me Harry ,last night just one moth Light Brown Apple Moth!!!

No.1 is a pyralid, and by the way the moth looks narrow , I'd go for Eudonia angustea. Don't mind what guides say about flight times. It seems to turn up at odd times of year. I could not say that it isn't one of the 'others'

As for the pugs, I'm inclined to side with Chris. I would like explantion of what makes them Common and not something else. So far I'm not really very far down the 'pug road'

I wonder if the larger view would help?
Also, I'm ashamed to say, I took a grotty pic of another moth that is new to me. It's so out-of-focus it could be almost anything. But just in case someone can ID it!!

Attachments

• pugb.jpg
    pugb.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 100
  • out-of-focus-moth.jpg
    out-of-focus-moth.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 107
I still think it's a Common Pug. Sorry.
As for your 'bird-muck' Tortrix how about: Marbled Orchard Tortrix Hedya nubiferana?

Surreybirder said:
I wonder if the larger view would help?
Also, I'm ashamed to say, I took a grotty pic of another moth that is new to me. It's so out-of-focus it could be almost anything. But just in case someone can ID it!!

Just posted a pic of one I had two nights ago here. It is Epiblema cynosbatella (1174), a tortrix with bright yellow palps.
http://cgi.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/show.php?id=452

A different pic attached.

Attachments

• epiblema_cynosbatella_may_04_480b.jpg
    epiblema_cynosbatella_may_04_480b.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 107
I can't find any pics of Common Pug with those white bars on the thorax and the white spots on the side of the abdomen look clearer in that last pic. Why isn't it White-spotted Chris? Like Angus I am keen to learn what to look for. I have a vast experience of only a handful of either species so far :)

Thanks

Its kind of suprising what can be ID and not. Can have the best photo ever of a lot of moths, and yet still not determine iD, and then this grotty one and bingo its a Epiblema cynosbatella.
Without the yellow palps I would have gone with Chris's suggestion

I may well be wrong, Brian. Perhaps the thorax bands were more obvious in the flesh, so to speak.
The ones I've put down as White-spotted have always had very white thorax markings and larger white spots on the hindwing and less obvious orbital spots.
Let's face it, pugs are a nightmare.

I'll not argue with that :h?:

Here's a debatable one from last year.

Attachments

• White-spotted Pug 14 Aug 2003.jpg
    White-spotted Pug 14 Aug 2003.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Waring et al say that common pug has noticeably narrower fore-wings... but I've not got enough experience to be able to tell! Both common and white-spotted seem to be reasonably common in Surrey. I'll see what my county recorder says!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back