• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Pipit ? (1 Viewer)

COLG

Spent an enjoyable day today wandering around by Leasowe lighthouse . Nothing sensational happening but saw some nesting Lapwings chase off a Kestrel , managed to photograph a Whitethroat by the car park and took some pipit photographs . Can any of you knowledgable birders tell me what sort of pipit this is ? Common sense says a Meadow Pipit , possibly a Tree Pipit but , looking at all my bird books it seems to more closely resemble a Tawny Pipit ( surely not ?) .

Attachments

• pipit2.jpg
    pipit2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Thought of a skylark at first glance but didn't sing like one or even fly like one and I've only ever seen them in groups previously .

I'll be laughed at no doubt but Woodlark?

I think I can see that white spot on the wing that shoudl diagnose them, and the supercilum seems to join at the back of the head? Maybe wishful thinking, and perhaps a bit too long-tailed, especially considering habitat, I take it this is a pretty coastal area if there is a lighthouse? but if it didn't sound like a Skylark..

although I heard sometime back of a Skylark that sounded like a Bee-eater!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back