• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery brocade-like noctuid (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
Starting a new thread for this as I feel bad for hijacking Aquila's earlier (apologies there).

Some more pics of the mystery noctuid. Not sure how much these will help. It still looks a bit odd in the photos but these are truer to life.

Difficult to get a picture of the hindwing. It is very dark, especially where it meets the sharply defined, broad white terminal line. It pales towards the base but the veins are blackish and there is a dark discal spot. Like no.15 on plate 28 of Skinner.

Attachments

• brocade_may_04_640b.jpg
    brocade_may_04_640b.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 157
  • brocade_may_04_640c.jpg
    brocade_may_04_640c.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 148
Brian,
It's not clear from any of the photo's but is there a reddish-brown crest on the thorax, if so I think you may be right, Green Arches.

Harry Eales,
Who now runs away and hides from the shower of bricks heading his way. lol.

Well I've looked,......................... and I can't add anything further
In other words Green Arches looks a possibility

By the way, is it that size??

Incoming!!!!!!!
Nah, I can't get this into a Green Arches. That 'W' is screaming Dark Brocade, but the rest of it isn't. Infact, the nearest I can get to it after 15 minutes with Mr.Skinner (alright, his book) is Silvery Arches. Which isn't 'right' either.
Sorry chaps, I can't do this one.
I'll forward your photo on to a mate and see if he can come up with anything.

The Nutmeg

Posted this to UK moths and had it named as The Nutmeg and The Shears, making a total of 6 species suggested so far. Don't know quite why I have rejected it before ('cos I know I have looked at it) but looking at pics online The Nutmeg looks spot on. This for example is about as close as I have seen and the hindwing is identical. Have to have a final check this evening with the books but I reckon this is it.

Just had an Email from my mate who went straight for Nutmeg. Apparently the 3 specimens in Skinner, if combined, would be your insect, Brian.
I just wish I could persuade him to join us on here. I mean we're a friendly enough bunch aren't we?

Hi Brian,
I've had a look at UKmoths pictures, and although only one of the three pictures shown looks like yours, I agree it's almost certainly the Nutmeg. Phew, I'm glad thats put to bed.

At the risk of being slapped down by everyone, dare I whisper, "Next picture please"

Harry Eales.

CJW said:
No slaps from me Harry, keep 'em coming, I say. Great fun.

Be careful what you say Chris, with no queries from the Surreybirder Ken yesterday, we could get a deluge today. Heh,heh.

Harry Eales.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back