• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broadband availability (1 Viewer)

helenol

I have just checked whether my new phone number at a new property will have access to Broadband. This is what they said:

Good news! BT Broadband is available in your area. A preliminary check on your line shows that although you are at the limits of BT Broadband coverage, it's possible for you to receive it.

Note: Our records indicate that a line-sharing device is connected to your line. This is the reason that the checker has returned this marginal result and may mean that Broadband could not be delivered on this line. Further investigations would be necessary as part of the ordering process to confirm whether or not you could receive Broadband service at this address. This could result in a delay to the provision of Broadband.

What is a "line-sharing" device? Am I destined for a life of dial-up? :(

Beats the heck out of me but the message sure is ambiguous. First it's good news! Then it's bad news.

Last edited:
Beats me!

I won't sign up to broadband because the kids would be on the computer all the time!!- at present have internet access only 6-00pm onwards plus weekends.

AndyC

Hi,

I seem to remember a line sharing device is used when you have stuff like fax, modem and phone all routed through one phone line. They can act like a switch, where you may have two numbers on one line - the switch can route the call to whatever device it is supposed to. For example, you may want one number for a fax and another for the phone and when the call comes in the device decides where best to route it.

I'm not sure whether that helps or not!

Rich.

Thanks folks.

Rich - I was thinking along similar lines (excuse the pun) re linesharing for fax etc. But I fail to see why this should affect broadband availability.

sparrowbirder said:
Broadband is a godsend,there is no way I could ever go back to dial up its just tooooooooo slowwwwwwwww...
Yes, yes and yes again! There's no way I'd go back to the "World Wide Wait". Plus I can use the net any time I feel like it (previously it wasn't worth my while to take out a package deal). I'm seriously tempted to upgrade to a 1mb connection, but my son reckons it wouldn't be financially efficient because there are so many websites still using slow servers. I wonder.

Helen's first post here brought back memories from long ago! When I was a child, home telephones were a bit of a luxury, and not even used every day in our house.

We were lucky to have our own line - but some people had to make do with a "party line", meaning they had to share the line with someone else. This meant that you couldn't make a call if the other person was already on the phone - but I don't know if you could actually hear what they were saying. Does anyone know about this?

Hi, when there are not enough pairs of wires to a particular Distribution Point for everyone to have a dedicated pair of wires for each telephone number then it is possible to 'share' one pair of wires between 2 telephone numbers (using different bandwidths). When this is done Broadband cannot be enabled on the two numbers that are sharing. However it *may* be possible for BT to make 2 other numbers share the same pair of wires and make yours use a dedicated pair and then Broadband can be enabled on your number. Only a survey by BT will see if this is possible or not.

HTH

Terry

It could also be even worse than you think, a shared line also slows down a dial up connection so a 56k modem will only connect at 33k!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
We were lucky to have our own line - but some people had to make do with a "party line", meaning they had to share the line with someone else. This meant that you couldn't make a call if the other person was already on the phone - but I don't know if you could actually hear what they were saying. Does anyone know about this?
Elizabeth, with the old party lines you could hear the other person if they were on a call and you picked up your telephone. Technology has stepped up since then and if you share a pair of wires between 2 telephone numbers nowadays then as far as the customers are concerned it 'appears' to be two completely seperate lines with no overhearing.

HTH

Terry

Hi Helen -

Rich is right. It's a device that allows a number of modem devices to be connected to the same line. They are commercially availbale for home office use (you just plug 'em in), however assuming you haven't purchased & installed one of these yourself ... becuase you'd know, BT are more likely to be talking about a DACS device (Digital Access Carrier System) having been fitted at some point.

A DACS allows two different lines to be connected back to the BT exchange over a single twisted pair copper cable. This device is used by BT when they run out of cables between the exchange and a customers home.

If you have had a DACS installed, you cannot get ADSL until the device is removed. BT will only be able to do this currently if there are no spare lines between your home and the exchange.

There are 2 types : see

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/miscellaneous.htm#dacs

If you have one of the internal white boxes you have definately been DACSed. However, I thinkt this indicates that at some point a 2nd phone line has been installed in the house so if you cancel one of these it can be removed and you should be OK for ADSL.

If you have one of the black rectangular boxes (look at the telegraph pole supplying your house) you MAY be DACSed - but not definatley so. Best way to tell is if you have a V.90 modem but never get above 33.6Kbps then you are most likely DACSed.

BT has no legal obligation to remove such devices from your line - they are only bound to provide services within the terms of your contract and their licence which I believe currently only covers speech & fax servics. So you may be able to get them to remove a device if you kisk up enough fuss and they have enough spare lines BUT they mat well replace it again at some future point to service other customers. I believe they have a rolloing programme of laying new cables - but not sure how fast that is progressing or what areas they are concentrating on.

The only certain way to make sure that DACS is removed (or that your line is never DACSed in the first place) is to pay for the bandwidth you desire by upgrading to ISDN, Home / Business Highway or DSL.

Not sure if any of the above helps ..... and I hope I haven't spoilt your Saturday ;)

Annie

Helen, you're lucky to even be in a position of uncertainty. Up here it is still more like the days Elizabeth has been talking about...........broadband? When are we going to get telephones?!

mikebirdart said:
Helen, you're lucky to even be in a position of uncertainty. Up here it is still more like the days Elizabeth has been talking about...........broadband? When are we going to get telephones?!

So how do you run your website, Mike - or were you meaning mobile phones????? :eek!:

mikebirdart said:
Sorry Elizabeth. (o)<

Facetiousness is my middle name. Shame I can't spell it............

You can, you can!!! (Just checked, to be certain)! :t: :t: :t:

BTW - have you noticed that facetious contains all the vowels - and in alphabetical order?

Elizabeth Bigg said:
BTW - have you noticed that facetious contains all the vowels - and in alphabetical order?

I hadn't before, but I can sense I may well spread the word around a bit more now, as there is some anecdotal significance to it!!

Thanks for that!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
You can, you can!!! (Just checked, to be certain)! :t: :t: :t:

Yep: I remember being taught that at primary school. So does abstemious (a word I have never been known to use in any other context!)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back