• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

faulty celestron c5? (1 Viewer)

piero

Hi,
I am new of the forum, so hallo everybody!

I have a question (probably just answered). I wanted to have longer lens
than my canon 400mm f/5.6 so I bought a used celestron c5.
But in the tests I made the pictures on my 500d were very soft and worse than
400mm f/5.6 + canon 1.4 + soligor 1.7x and dfficult to focus.

So I am asking if you think that with a skywatcher 80ED and barlow lens I could have better results or not?
thanks a lot for your help

Piero

Welcome Piero,

You could maybe try collimating the Celestron C5 and see if it improves the image quality. This link takes you to the C5 instruction manual and there's a section on collimation. http://www.celestron.com/c3/images/files/downloads/1192143824_52291c5spotterx.pdf

As for your 400mm plus 1.4X and 1.7X teleconverters you would need to post some example photos that you've taken so we can do a comparison with the 80ED. Have a look through my digiscoping gallery link at the bottom of this post to see a load of my 80ED photos taken with a Canon 450D. Most of them were with a Kenko Pro 1.4X teleconverter but there's a few barlow ones in there too.

Paul.

Thank you very much! GREAT pictures I did not imagine that it was possible to take pictures of bird in flight!
I could not distinguish the pictures made with the teleconverter!
By the way is the barlow lens better than the TC?

Thanks again

I am really tempted now!

No probs with the link Steve.

Piero, I should think that the Canon 1.4X would show no loss in quality at all on the 80ED. The Soligor 1.7X isn't one I've tried so I can't comment on that. It should work fairly well though. 2X barlows work very well with the scope, I use a 2.3X barlow and it's very sharp.

The area where most people struggle is with manual focusing. If you have good eyesight it shouldn't be an issue.

Paul.

Thank you again !!

I have a further a pair of questions.

To attach the camera to the celestron c5 I need a c5-T connector and T-ring for eos. In the case of ED80 is enough the T-ring?

I think that the focusing is not going to be an easy task. Moreover I have a good tripod but I think the head is not good enough. Which one do you suggest?
Thanks
Piero

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back