• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does the Leica T77 10.4/800 suit the coolpix models? (1 Viewer)

johnno21

I have a leica televid 77 spotting scope, with a T77 / 800mm adaptor, and just purchased the 20 to 60 zoom eyepiece. Are the coolpix models going to be usefulwith the 800mm lens, or should I be looking at purchasing a digital SLR to suit it? Which camera should I buy?

Hi Johnno,
You are turning your scope into a 35mm lens by attaching the Leica photoadapter...so you'd be effectively putting a lens in front of a lens (as the coolpix has one already)...and this won't work (although I know someone will come back saying it does if you reverse them for macro work).

Personally, I'd recommend using a coolpix camera (cp990,995,4500) in combination with the scope + eyepiece for traditional digiscoping. Adapters to connect these coolpix camera to your eyepiece are numerous...but I'm not sure about actual availability in Australia.
We have several expert digiscopers on Birdforum from Australia using similar equipment, hopefully one of those can suggest an adapter available in your part of the world.
Regards,
Andy

coolpix models suitable for fast action shots?

Thanks for the recommendation Andy. Will the coolpix cameras (cp990,995,4500) have the ability to capture fast action shots in continuous burst rate modes, such as freezing in time a bird flying? (See the Green backed heron in this months photo competion.) Do you have to go to the digital SLR range, such as the 300D to acheive these results?
regards,
Johnno

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back