• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth ID Help (1 Viewer)

John D

Trapped attached moth in the garden last night, still struggling with some ID's, any help would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS
JOHN D

Attachments

• DSCN0179.JPG
    DSCN0179.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 119
John D said:
Trapped attached moth in the garden last night, still struggling with some ID's, any help would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS
JOHN D

John,
Is it really that colour green or is it something else?

Harry Eales.

Harry
it does look green , but to the naked eye it looks almost black, still experimenting with my coolpix .
JOHN D

John D said:
Harry
it does look green , but to the naked eye it looks almost black, still experimenting with my coolpix .
JOHN D

hi John D,
Keep experimenting, it does help the more experienced entomologists, if photo's show the correct colours, I'm reserving my opinions at present. lol.
Is that the only picture you have of this specimen?
Harry Eales.

Well I've looked and I haven't an iota. I'd reckon it may be a melanic form of something. Are those squares 5mm, which would make it about 15mm long?

Angus T said:
Well I've looked and I haven't an iota. I'd reckon it may be a melanic form of something. Are those squares 5mm, which would make it about 15mm long?

Ok,
I think we can agree that this is:-
A. A moth.
B. That it is a Noctuid.

After that it's anyones guess, unless there is a more accurate (colour wise) picture available. If it is, as Angus suspects, a melanic specimen, we really do need more pictures of it to give a considered opinion. At present I'm making a bald spot on my head by scratching it.

Harry Eales.

Ignoring the colour, it looks like a Northern Rustic to me - especially in the thumbnail where the central dark bar is more obvious.

CJW said:
Ignoring the colour, it looks like a Northern Rustic to me - especially in the thumbnail where the central dark bar is more obvious.

I see where your coming from there Chris, but the Northern Rustic doesn't have that row of dots near the outer edge of the forewing. Hoping for better pictures if available.

Harry Eales.

Hi John D (and everyone else). I am the dubiously referred to 'sidekick' to CJW (though I prefer the term advisor). I look forward to participation in the mothing section as much as possible. I am not much use when it comes to micro's (through lack of reference literature primarily), but hope that's not a problem.
John, can you tell us if the moth is the size of a minor sp. which would put my mind at some ease.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back