• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What this be? (1 Viewer)

weather

Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow
For every right answer, I'll take a shot of Jim Beam....

Attachments

• nighthawk.jpg
    nighthawk.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 200
weather said:
I'm confused!!! I haven't even started drinking yet. What?

Mike
I'm guessing that gthang just "right clicked" your picture, thus seeing that the original filename is "nighthawk.jpg"!!!!!! ;) (in other words, he cheated..........again ;) )

weather said:
Booming nighthawk.
Ho-pil-car.
Pik-teis-k wes.
Besh-que.
Gwen-go-wi-a.
Nightjar.
Goatsucker.
Crapau volans.
Pick-me-a-dick.
Bat.
Bullbat.
Will-o'-wisp.
Burnt-land bird.
Bird hawk.
Falkennachtschwalbe.
Engoulevent d'Amérique.
Añapero yanqui.
Chordeiles minor.
Isohaukkakehrääjä.
Cheers!

SimonC said:
I'm guessing that gthang just "right clicked" your picture, thus seeing that the original filename is "nighthawk.jpg"!!!!!! ;) (in other words, he cheated..........again ;) )

Oh hell! I didn't even think of that! Well, is there anyway we can delete this thread or am I going to have to get an extra bottle of Jim Beam? B :)

Mike

Nope, not even close, though I do realize now that the filename is indeed Nighthawk.jpg!

I clicked on the file,which opened it in a new window. Even though I've have never ever seen a Common Nighthawk before, I have become a walking field guide of sorts in that I remember what the pictures in my Sibley guide look like. At first I would've thought Chimney Swift (the Flying Cigar). But noticing the wing bands, this shot down my guess. And I remembered a similar pattern on various nighthawks, which somewhat resemble swifts in shape. Not looking through my Sibley guides, I took a stab at Common Nighthawk!

gthang said:
I clicked on the file,which opened it in a new window. Even though I've have never ever seen a Common Nighthawk before, I have become a walking field guide of sorts in that I remember what the pictures in my Sibley guide look like. At first I would've thought Chimney Swift (the Flying Cigar). But noticing the wing bands, this shot down my guess. And I remembered a similar pattern on various nighthawks, which somewhat resemble swifts in shape. Not looking through my Sibley guides, I took a stab at Common Nighthawk!
Good, Gthang, congratulations.!

Here's more shots to Weather:
Nathøg.
Amerikaanse Nachtzwaluw.
Succiacapre sparviero.
Dvergnattravn.
Chotacabras americano.
Falknattskärra.

what this be

weather said:
That's a common nighthawk lad Chordeiles minor .I'll see your shot of Beam and raise a Chivas to your outstanding good fortune for having seen this guy in daylight with all field marks.Details please.
cheers
Sam

Charles, When are you coming to NY? Because of the amount of birds I have seen in my backyard, I have entered Stormville NY into the Locations Database.

busted

samuel walker said:
That's a common nighthawk lad Chordeiles minor .I'll see your shot of Beam and raise a Chivas to your outstanding good fortune for having seen this guy in daylight with all field marks.Details please.
cheers
Sam
Ah ha Si and Karri got you.I knew it was a gag by the quality of the shot.A little too clean for a camera you don't have yet.Where did you lift it Cornell University Ornithlogy Lab?
Sam

Thought it looked a bit strange there, floating by in the noonday sun...

Dunno GT, but I gotta go sometime, and Stormville's now tacked onto the itinerary.

samuel walker said:
Ah ha Si and Karri got you.I knew it was a gag by the quality of the shot.A little too clean for a camera you don't have yet.Where did you lift it Cornell University Ornithlogy Lab?
Sam

enature.com Sam....

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back