• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

128RC v 700RC2 (1 Viewer)

basic spec on the two heads....

128rc - weight 1kg, max load 4kg, head height 4.6", adjustable pan handle
700rc - weight 0.5kg, max load 2.5kg, head height 3.8", fixed pan handle

As shown in the spec listed the 128 is a heavier, large head which can handle heavier kit than the 700. That said I know a number of birders who use the 700 without any problem - even with larger scopes.
The adjustable pan handle on the 128 is a useful feature as it allows you to use either hand to pan with. Of the two heads I'd say that the 128 is probably the better - feels very solid when you use it. That said I use the 200xl (the head that was replaced by the 700) and have found it to cut and excellent middle ground between the 128 and the 700.

Another consideration is the way the mounting plate is fitted.

With Swaro scopes - at least with the ATS 80 - you don't need to use a plate at all with the scope as the scope foot fits directly into the plate socket of the 128rc head.

With the 700rc the plate is turned through 90° and so the scope by itself won't fit ie. you need to use the plate.

A minor point but I'm finding the connection is much more stable without having to use the plate.

I have the 700RC2 and it's lovely and a far more modern looking design - that extra 500g saving is v-e-r-y worthwhile when you're lugging the kit around.

scampo said:
I have the 700RC2 and it's lovely and a far more modern looking design - that extra 500g saving is v-e-r-y worthwhile when you're lugging the kit around.

Scampo ,
Would your tripod/head set-up do a "good" job at digiscoping with a coolpix 4500.

Thanks for the information - further to Ruger's point - do you need a plate for the Zeiss Diascope with the 700 head when digiscoping?
Kevin

Ruger for digiscoping i would use an extension plate for your 128c head,an excellent peice of kit.

John

I use a 128 head with a 'Leica plate' for my Apo 77...very happy with the combo.
Fuchsia has a 700 head for her Nikon 82..which IMHO works better for her..due to the position of the 'scope onto the head...it is rotated 90 degrees...with the added advantage of weight saving.
She also has a Coolpix 4500, and some of the photo's she has taken are quite superb...
So...as the saying goes...
"You pays your money....you takes your choice."

Dave.

I'm a beginner at digiscoping but the combination works well with my CP4500 and LCE adaptor; it also works well with my son's Swaro scope and CP4500; and it locks solidly, too.

scampo said:
I'm a beginner at digiscoping but the combination works well with my CP4500 and LCE adaptor; it also works well with my son's Swaro scope and CP4500; and it locks solidly, too.

Hello.

Same here. I have a Velbon D700 tripod which I've attached the 700RC2 head onto (after small mod's) and use with a Nikon ED78 and Coolpix 4500.

The 700RC2 head feels so much better and does not droop when targeting birds, unlike the Velbon head. I do however find the panning action not as nice as the Velbon???

Regards

Attachments

• piedwookie.jpg
    piedwookie.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 290
  • turtlewookie2.jpg
    turtlewookie2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 273
128 Rc V 700rc2

scampo said:
My son still has a Velbon and I was wondering if a 700RC would fit. Was it very difficult to modify?

Hello.

It wasn't :eat:

I purchased the Manfrotto 1/4in to 3/8in adapter which screws into the head. I unscrewed the Velbon head from the D700. Next I cut down the 1/4in male thread to fit into the 700RC2 head.

Finally I drilled a couple of holes into the diecast top plate of the D700 and used a tap to create a 2.5mm thread thus enabling me to secure the 700RC2 head once it was screwed down all the way.

I would attach a photo but I've just deleted it. I'll take another tomorrow.

Regards

Last edited:
128RC v's 700RC2

scampo said:
Thanks Ed - I shall be giving it a go as soon as I can afford another 700RC!

Hello again.......

The Velbon with 700RC2 head on.

Regards

P.S I obtained my 700RC2 head from E-bay 'Henry's' of Toronto, Canada. Cost me approx $45 inc P+P to Blighty. Arrived in around 1 week.

Attachments

• 700rc2.jpg
    700rc2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 667
  • 700rc2b.jpg
    700rc2b.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
$45-00??? US or Canadian? I feel sick - paid twice that in £ almost a couple of months ago. I'll not make that mistake again. What the hell are Manfrotto doing selling at sky high prices here?

Just taken delivery of a 700RC2 Nat today, along with the 055Nat3 tripod. Looks and feels great. The head cost 80 euros from Oryx in Barcelona (www.weboryx.com - approx 45GBP) Do I need an extra plate for a Diascope 85? I'm getting the scope at the end of the month.
B :)
Kevin

All Manfrotto tripod heads use a plate - but this is included with the 700RC2 (I think 'RC' refers to removable plate).

128rc v's 700rc2

Hi

I meant to say in my earlier post that it cost me £45 not $45 Canadian.

Thats the head and shipping to the UK.

It was new in box.

Regards

No duty on EC goods, I should expect - but 17.5% VAT is charged - and the bill always comes later if not included by the supplier.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back