PDA

View Full Version : Jacamar Migration

Shelby B
Thursday 27th May 2004, 02:33
Greetings all,

My daughter needs some help with a school project she is writing about Jacamar. I made a few attempts to find the information on the internet when I stumbled across this website. Pretty neat website!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could direct or help me find the size and migration patter of the Coppery Chested Jacamar? Any help or direction would be helpful!

Thank you,

Shelby and Mercedes

KC Foggin
Thursday 27th May 2004, 02:47
Hi Shelby and Mercedes and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum.net. It is a pretty neat website isn't it ;)

I have no knowledge of the Jacamar and I don't see where one has been added as of yet to our database but we have several members from Central America I believe if you give them a chance to check out the forums tomorrow, I'm sure you will get some answers. Unless of course your daughter is like mine was. "The report is due tomorrow mom" ;)

Dave B Smith
Thursday 27th May 2004, 03:19
Well, y'all certainly picked a tough one! I'm in Mexico and have only seen our local Jacamar, the Rufous-tailed Jacamar. They are beautiful birds.

Most of the info I'm finding on the web for your Coppery-chested Jacamar is in Spanish. I did find a photo at this link: Coppery-chested Jacamar (http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/pictures/Galbula_pastazae.html)

I also found from 'Endemic Bird Areas of the World' by Stattersfield et al, 1998 that it is endemic to his region designation 044, Ecuador-Peru East Andes, which includes the countries Ecuador, Colombia and Peru.

I also found one good range map at the following link: Range Map and info (http://www.natureserve.org/infonatura/servlet/InfoNatura?searchName=Galbula+pastazae)

The above link also gives other good info on this bird. It appears that it is a permanent resident in its range all year; ie does not migrate.

There are 15 species of Jacamar in Central and South America and most of their habits are similar so checking any of these might give you some good family information.

Good luck.

Jacamar
Thursday 27th May 2004, 14:09
I hope you can find what you are looking for; the idea of Jacamars migrating doesn't really make much sense to me. I guess most birds migrate because of the weather; the only change in weather here is between dry season and rainy season, not really a temperature change. The only Jacamar that I have ever seen is the Green-tailed Jacamar; which is probably my favorite bird.

cuckooroller
Saturday 29th May 2004, 09:19
Shelby,

The main concentration of population for this bird is in the foothills of eastern Ecuador but known also from similar habitat in se Colombia and western amazonian Brazil. I would not expect this bird to undertake what you might conceive of as true migration. This bird, as other Jacamars, is basically insectivorous and take their food on the fly, mostly Hymenoptera (Bees,Wasps) and Lepidoptera (Butterflies). The only type of movement that I would expect them to do within their known range might be short jaunts just to follow insect hatches.

Rasmus Boegh
Wednesday 2nd June 2004, 18:51
Wonder how your daughter found that species! Anyway, a bit late, but hopefully still useful:

Coppery-chested Jacamar (Galbula pastazae)

*Total lengt ~24 cm. (= 9'')
*Weight ca. 30 g.
*Largets species in the genus Galbula, except for the aberant Paradise Jacamar which is longer but generally weighs less.
*Found in extreme southern Colombia, Ecuador and very limited in northern Peru. The single record from Brazil is certainly wrong and is now believed to have been a mis-identified female Bluish-fronted Jacamar.
*Not migratory (= sedentary). No species of Jacamar is known (or believed) to be migratory. Actually, when having established a territory, it seems they only leave it if absolutely forced away.
*Usually found between 750 & 1500 meters asl. Preferred altitude between 1000 & 1200 meter asl.
*Prefer forest of the foothills/lower subtropics in the east Andes.
*Usually found in pairs, though sometimes well seperated.
*Seem to prefer lower levels of the forest, and often found near openings (i.e. streams, trails etc.) of the forest.
*Nests in earth bank. Normally breeds in sep-dec.
*Feeds exclusively on insects (mostly Coleoptera & Hymenoptera; i.e beetles, bees, wasps and similar). Sits motionless on exposed branches from where it sallies to catch the insects.

Also, have a look at this page:
http://www.birdlife.net/datazone/search/species_search.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=888&m=0

- though it should be mentioned that the voice is not unknown... I heard it myself several times in Ecuador, incl. near Zamora where it is quite common (I saw it daily). The voice is also on the new Birds of Ecuador CD-ROM.