• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Too good to be true? (1 Viewer)

judge9847

I really am new to all of this but from what I've seen with other items - digital cameras for instance - the golden rule has to be that if it looks too good to be true then it usually is :)

Because I've really got no idea at all about what I'm looking at but trying to make sense of all the information that there is available, particularly on this tremendous site, I'd say this item is "too good to be true".

What say you all?

I'd appreciate whatever advice/comment you can give.

run away! In all fairness it is very cheap...but add postage to europe and potentially, v.a.t. and any excess import duty and it doesn't look so much of a bargain.
It is supplied with a 75x eyepiece which is way over the top for birding, so you'd need to buy an additional eyepiece.
The "it's retail value is above $700" is pure fantasy.
run away!

75x does not make sense

Don't even consider this scope. 75x is unsuitable for birding over 99 percent of the time. And since you don't have any idea who makes this scope, you also have no idea about its real optical quality.

Thanks for the advice

Thanks Andy and Swissboy.

I'm VERY glad I asked and your advice has been invaluable. I've resolved to stick with the trusted suppliers like Warehouse Express (I bought a camera from them recently and they were very, very helpful indeed).

Again, many thanks.

Normally if something looks to good to be true, then it probably is!!!

When anyone sells an item he usually aims to make a profit somehow. On a scope it would mean cheap crap glass or some other method of making shortcuts.............

Without more information or looking at it I would steer a very wide birth!!!!

OK if your on a budget!

HI

The scope you talk about looks similar to scopes sold under the following brands...Dowling & Rowe, Mirrador & Acuter.

All can be found @ UK sites...New to forums so i dont know how to put links in. However if you do a search for each of them there are only some thing like 3 or so vendors that sell them.

Action optics have the best price...I recently dealt with them and found Richard very informative.

I suppose like every thing else its a balance between price, quality & value for money.

Personally im happy with the performance of my budget scope... i may invest in higher quality later?

happy hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back