• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve July 2010 (1 Viewer)

Nick Smith

Member of the Staffordshire Bird Club
We will be staying near to Albufeira at the end of July. We already have a trip planned to the plains. On the south coast, i'm thinking that the best places are the Pera Marsh, Quinta do Lago and Alvor Marshes? Am I correct or is there somewhere else for my pre breakfast trips?

There's the Parque Ambiental on the outskirts of Vilamoura, you'd pass the gates on the way from Albufiera to Vilamoura.
I visited early mornings in 2004. Visitor centre and car park doesn't open till later in the day but there's pedestrian access to the reserve at all times. There's a hide there, think there might be more now. When I was there you could park in the layby a few yards from the reserve gates.

I will be stayin in carvoeiro for the first two weeks in July, is there any site other than those mentioned in Summer Birding on the Central Algarve, by Jon Hardacre.

Is there also any website with bird sightings etc on the area.

Thanks for all the help. It may have been covered somewhere before, but can anyone give me directions to the Pera Marshes please?

You have the directions here, Pera marsh is known as Lagoa dos salgados, and you should loof Salgados, written in red, on that map.

Try also Castro Marim, near Vila Real de Santo António, a good place for Slender billed and Audoin´s Gull.

You have the directions here, Pera marsh is known as Lagoa dos salgados, and you should loof Salgados, written in red, on that map.

Try also Castro Marim, near Vila Real de Santo António, a good place for Slender billed and Audoin´s Gull.

Thanks. So its best to come in from the East? Also, will Slender-billed be there this time of year?

Probably the best approach is from the west, you can take a dirt road that take you there, park the car and go by foot to the observatory, however the best place to see Northern bald Ibis is the tarmac road near the golf course at the East side.

Slender billed could turn up there, but at Castro Marim, you have better chances to see them.

At Quinta do Lago go to São Lourenço observatory, its full of birds by now, and Purple Gallinule, Little Bittern, Great reed Warbler, Black headed Weaver, Azure winged Magpie are granted. If you have more time explore the marshes and saltpans nearby. I will be there next Sunday to tuesday, so next week I can report some of the species that are currently using the Ria Formosa Natural Park.

Many thanks to everyone's help with the information i received beforehand. Thanks to my excellent guide Georg Schreier we were able to have a six tick day on the plains. Click on his name to view his details. My blog below is update with my pictures. Trip report to follow as soon as!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back