• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

30May--only three moths for ID today--so far! (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
On Harry's promptings I've tried to ID these myself.
My guesses are: blood-vein, common wave and some sort of Tortrix (it was about 8mm long and the wings were very pointed... sort of cut away so that the outside length of the wing was significantly greater than the inside, when at rest--hard to express but sort of lime hawkmoth-shaped wings). I saw them whilst walking the dog. In fact there seemed to be quite a few moths in some set-aside, including a rather bright orange one, but they wouldn't let me photo them. I also saw what I think was a silver ground carpet at the same site a couple of days ago, but same prob.
I also saw my first small copper of the year... one of my favourites!
And we had three broad-bodied chasers and 18+ azure damselflies on our garden pond at lunch time.

Attachments

• maidens_blush-HCn.jpg
    maidens_blush-HCn.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 82
  • wave-SWT.jpg
    wave-SWT.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Tortrix2-HCn.jpg
    Tortrix2-HCn.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Your tortrix is Celypha lacunana..............I think, not quite 100% on it, perhaps the most numerous tortrix in my traps over next couple months.

Agreed on the other 2. Only a dozen or so records of Blood-vein in Ireland. Its not one I've seen.

The damselflies don't be long in finding new water!!

Surreybirder said:
On Harry's promptings I've tried to ID these myself.
My guesses are: blood-vein, common wave and some sort of Tortrix (it was about 8mm long and the wings were very pointed... sort of cut away so that the outside length of the wing was significantly greater than the inside, when at rest--hard to express but sort of lime hawkmoth-shaped wings). I saw them whilst walking the dog. In fact there seemed to be quite a few moths in some set-aside, including a rather bright orange one, but they wouldn't let me photo them. I also saw what I think was a silver ground carpet at the same site a couple of days ago, but same prob.
I also saw my first small copper of the year... one of my favourites!
And we had three broad-bodied chasers and 18+ azure damselflies on our garden pond at lunch time.

Hi Ken,
Heh, Heh, I'm glad your trying to do ID's, I agree with the first two and also with Angus's tortricoid ID.

I hope you found a lot of Daphnea for your pond it sounds like your going to need it as dragonfly nymph food. I said it wouldn't be long before your pond would attract them.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hi Ken,
Heh, Heh, I'm glad your trying to do ID's, I agree with the first two and also with Angus's tortricoid ID.

I hope you found a lot of Daphnea for your pond it sounds like your going to need it as dragonfly nymph food. I said it wouldn't be long before your pond would attract them.

Harry

Thanks for the IDs.
I think the broad-bodied chaser nymphs will be quite happy chewing up the dasmelfly nymphs to start with. But there's plenty of other life in there including lots of tiny wormy things, which I'm wondering if they might be mosquito larvae. If so, the more that get eaten the better!
Only one moth in my trap last night... an extremely worn pale pinion. But it was a clear night with a full moon.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back