• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quandary over which PDA (1 Viewer)

POP

I keep wanting to invest in a PDA and have read all through previous forums on the subject ( i have had much help from peteh) but I still cannot find which system is best I.E. Palm or Pocket pc I.E.HP Ipaq.is graffiti use as opposed to keyboard better.My use of the PDA would be using Pocket bird Recorder,bird sounds and photographs to download and to look at direct from camera,and obviously notes and possibly sketches in the field. So if anyone can tell me the fors and against of both sytems I would be Most grateful for their assistance.

John

Hello John - got a new motor?
Sorry bout that!

You could try giving Mark Reeder a PM as I think he is up on these kind of things if i remember rightly. Hopefully he'll see this and let you know

Sorry Tim just seen Nina in the back of my Cortina talk about a handheld.I have as said read the past forums but being a pleb I still cannot make up my mind.

John

John
My own feeling would be to go for the Pocket PC route. More choice of brands etc. and I think you'd be safer in the longer term as Microsoft seem to be getting behind the Pocekt PC OS more now. If you buy the right Pocket PC then you also get the opportunity to add a GPS sleeve and/or download OS maps on which you can record sightings etc.

Be interested to hear other's views...

John Fleet

I did have a palm but changed to pocket pc - have found it to be much more adaptable - and if you are already using windows on your pc the operating system is very easy to get used to. On most pocket pc devices you can use either a graffiti type input or an on screen keyboard. These devices will usually have pocket versions of word, excel, outlook and explorer which makes moving info from pc to pda very easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back