• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths ID (1 Viewer)

tom tams said:
Hi All,

I need help to id these moths caught last night in Northumberland

Tom

Hi Tom,
Your first two are micro's and will need some work before settling on an ID. Ref spm.3. How large was it? an indication would help. without a reference it could be as small as a Minor or as large as a Twin-spot Quaker.

Harry

tom tams said:
Hi All,

I need help to id these moths caught last night in Northumberland

Tom

#1. Possibly a dark Turnip moth with that fringe. (harry look at it again)
#2. Tortrix, my first guess is Syndemis musculana. One of the larger tortrix moths.
#3 Mottled Rustic.

Angus T said:
#1. Possibly a dark Turnip moth with that fringe. (harry look at it again)
#2. Tortrix, my first guess is Syndemis musculana. One of the larger tortrix moths.
#3 Mottled Rustic.

Hi Angus,
On reflection you may well be right over no.1 being a Turnip Moth. Sitting next to that tortricoid threw me.
No 3. Agreed, Mottled Rustic.

Harry

Hi Angus & Harry,

Thanks for the reply, I had an inkling of two moths Id Mottled Rustic & Syndemis Musculana, the third I was not sure , Turnip Moth well I did not give it a thought, I am still not sure, I have caught two Shuttle-shaped Darts this week and I thought it could be a another variation of one.

Cheers Tom

tom tams said:
Hi Angus & Harry,

Thanks for the reply, I had an inkling of two moths Id Mottled Rustic & Syndemis Musculana, the third I was not sure , Turnip Moth well I did not give it a thought, I am still not sure, I have caught two Shuttle-shaped Darts this week and I thought it could be a another variation of one.

Cheers Tom
If its the same size as Shuttle-shaped Dart, then its unlikely to be Turnip, but I don't think its S-S Dart either.

Hi Angus,

Having measured the wing (16mm) and after consulting Skinner etc, I agree with your initial ID of a dark Turnip Moth.

Many Thanks

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back