• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any entomologist here? Strange 'worm'... (1 Viewer)

scampo

Steve Campsall
I've just seen the oddest creatures in our garden. They are worm-like larvae (?) about ten centimetres in length but merely perhaps 0.2mm in diameter. I thought they were just fine roots or even hairs until I noticed them swaying and moving slowly.

Any ideas what they are? I shall try to post a photo later - but they are so fine as to hardly be noticeable.

Nothing at all like that, Alan - so very fine in width bit long in length - some up to, perhaps, 12cm. My son - keen on insects as he is - was equally surprised. Maybe they are baby triffids - there were some bright stars about yesterday evening...

Here is a photo - you can just make out the white thread-like worm on the scabious flower.

Attachments

• Larvae-007.jpg
    Larvae-007.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 213
I've no idea what it is Steve, but I notice the area is very moist.

As soon as I "hovered" over your post and saw the description it reminded me of something I saw many years ago in a puddle somewhere in Scotland... basically a good dozen of these (or something very similar) writhing away in the water.

I'd be interested if anyone comes up with anything!

I seen some like that on my garden bench once and assumed they were some sort of parasitic worm dropped from/through a bird.

Almost certainly an eelworm or nematode of some sort. Too big to be a free-living species and probably more likely as Alan has suggested, a large parasitic species that has recently "emerged" from some poor unfortunates bottom!

The host could be anything from a large caterpillar, amphibian, reptile, bird or mammal depending on species (if that is indeed what it is).

If you find a dead bird of mammal carcass nearby, it might have just abandoned ship ;)

Thanks to you all. My son, Nick, also thought they were a parasitic nematode of some sort. No dead bodies nearby, but there was a small green caterpillar that seemed to be eating the worms rather than harbouring them. We do have cats, though - and haven't wormed them recently. I think we will - tomorrow!

I was thinking that if they had emerged from that particular animal orifice, there might have been several hundreds of them rather than just the few that there were.

Last edited:
Thanks, Chris. That's a rare thing - 'Gouldian Knot' nematode - a name not immediately showing up on a Google search. Do you know which species acts as the carrier to this worm?

While searching, though, I did come upon this fascinating web site:

http://nematode.unl.edu/nemakey.htm

Thanks again for your help. It does seem that the warm, damp soil of yesterday evening was what brought them to the surface.

SleepyLizard said:
I tried looking that up. Do you mean Gordian Worms?
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2112.html
That helped - found it! Thanks Alan and all.

And I think I have the answer. The gordian worm infests snails and slugs... and I've been killing a few of them recently as my newly planted border was being seen as hors d'oeuvre by my slug population. They appeared first next to a slime trail from a slug.

Looking at that site, and at the activity of the worms, I think I might have found the species, mermis nigrescens.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back