• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sao Pedro de Moel (1 Viewer)

Monahawk

Just spent a family holiday at a campsite on the outskirts of the pretty coastal village of Sao Pedro de Moel about one and a half hours drive north of Lisbon.
This was strictly a family vacation so there was little time for birding though I did sneak the odd early morning jaunt before the campsite came to life, over the local pine forest and heathland.
Here is my list for the area:- Yellow legged Gull, Gannet, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Serin, Bullfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Crested Tit, Coal Tit, Blackcap, Melodious Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher, Swallow, House Martin, Swift, Black Redstart, White Wagtail, Nuthatch, Short toed Treecreeper, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Blackbird, Robin, Wren, Firecrest, Spotless Starling, Woodpigeon, Collard Dove, Cuckoo, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Montague's Harrier, Jay, Carrion Crow.
Other birds of note seen on sight seeing outings, Crag Martin, Sardinian Warbler at Obidos. Red rumped Swallow at various locations, usually seen when driving [ eek! birding behind the wheel ]. Black Kite somewhere over A8 motorway.
It would be interesting to know more about the birdlife in this area as there appeared to be some potentially interesting locations.

Si.

Hi Pedro.
Good to know Montagu's Harrier are rare in that part of Portugal. That made the sighting all the more special. It was a male which flew low and slow over small pines while I was watching flocks of blackbirds and blackcaps feasting on blackberries in a hollow full of brambles.
Thanks for the response.

Si

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back