• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where should I start looking (1 Viewer)

dobermann

Hi,

I am all new to this and just starting out I dont even have a scope yet but am intending to get one soon. Any advice on what to get, (am thinking along the lines of the APO Leica 77 20-60 zoom) any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks to whoever set up this site its is great!!!

(and if there is any others from Dublin please get in touch)

Kindest Regards
John

Hi John

Personally I use the apo77 with zoom and think it's a fantastic scope. However when you do decide to buy a scope it is worth having alook aroudn - there are a number of top end scopes that are of comparable quality so it's a metter of finding the right one for you.

As for where to buy I don't know locally to you - but there are a number of very good online retailers. There is a whole section on this site about scopes - so I'd recommend taking a look at that (hopefully you'll get some useful info) and then if you have any specific questions ask there - I'm sure someone will be able to answer them.

dobermann said:
Hi,

I am all new to this and just starting out I dont even have a scope yet but am intending to get one soon. Any advice on what to get, (am thinking along the lines of the APO Leica 77 20-60 zoom) any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks to whoever set up this site its is great!!!

(and if there is any others from Dublin please get in touch)

Kindest Regards
John
Hi John,
I've moved this thread to a more appropriate forum so that you'll getter a better response.

As I posted to you in reply to your 'hello' post, I'd maybe hold off on a Leica APO77 for a little while...rumours are circulating about a new Leica 80mm+ scope to match their recently introduced 62mm. It will be far lighter in weight than the current APO77.
Other scopes to consider in this league would be the Zeiss 85mm Diascope, Swarovski AS80HD and the recently launced 82mm ED Nikon.

If you do see a cheap APO77, would be worth buying...it's an excellent scope, but prices may fall further after the launch of a replacement.

We have a number of birders on this site from Ireland, hopefully they'll see this thread and respond.

Regards,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back