• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas time birding in the Nth West (Cheshire) (1 Viewer)

Graham_H

Greetings all,

I'll be visiting Cheshire over Christmas-mid January and wonder if anyone could offer any good spots to visit in the region for a good spread of species.

My previous visits to the UK were prior to an interest in birding, so I'll be happy with whatever I can get some photos of (or try to at least).

Thanks,

Graham

Set yourself a list of target species and I'm sure plenty of people will be able to help you from there, there are plenty of places to go, but it really depends on what you want to see as a priority.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm staying in Warrington (Burtonwood). I'll be fairly happy to see whatever I come across as it will be fresh to me. I do like my owl species though, so would love to come across one or two - our owl species can be fairly elusive, so I don't know what the likelihood is of that. Otherwise, I'm happy to see my raptor species, but I'll be fairly easy to please.

Thanks,

Graham

Graham.
Short-eared Owls virtually guaranteed in winter on the Dee Marshes (Wirral Peninsula) along with Hen Harrier, Merlin, Peregrine. Tawny, Barn & Little owls may be a bit trickier unless we pin down roosting birds.

North Wirral coast should also get you Puprle Sandpiper at well known high tide roost spots.

Moore Nature Reserve (closer to you) often gets Great Bittern in winter and a good selection of wildfowl can be seen on Rostherne Mere nearby. Moore also gets Glaucous & Icleand Gulls in winter as they feed on the adjacent tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back