• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nice moths, lousy photos (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I've seen what I think is a dingy shell (by torchlight) and a speckled yellow, both fairly uncommon in my part of Surrey. I can only apologise for the quality of the photos but wonder if they are IDable?

Attachments

• speckled_yellow.jpg
    speckled_yellow.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 125
  • p-dingy_shell.jpg
    p-dingy_shell.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 139
1. Agree Speckled Yellow
2. Best guess would be Epirrhoe sp. Don't know if there's enough detail for positive id though

Waring says that dingy shell always rests with its wings closed, which is where I was coming from. But must admit that it did look quite white in life. Unfortunately if flew before I could work on the photography!

Angus T said:
So what's new?? LOL;)

Can't help you any further.

Don't rub it in!
When I'm rich and famous I'll buy a better camera. (I know, a bad workman... )
o:)
Apparently yellow shell is a first for my 10Km square (at least according to Larger moths of Surrey--although, as you pointed out, the status of moth species can change rapidly), so it's not all bad news! :bounce:

Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
Don't rub it in!
When I'm rich and famous I'll buy a better camera. (I know, a bad workman... )
o:)
Apparently yellow shell is a first for my 10Km square (at least according to Larger moths of Surrey--although, as you pointed out, the status of moth species can change rapidly), so it's not all bad news! :bounce:

What's all this about a Yellow Shell? Your no 1. pic was a Speckled Yellow. Very uncertain on no 2. so I won't make a guess.

By the way if Yellow Shell is not resident in your area I can send you a bucket full, it's abundant up here in many colour forms.

Harry.

Whoops! Yellow shell is v. common here, as well--at least I've photo'd two in the last two days! Speckled yellow is not shown for my 10km square but I strongly suspect it's under-recorded as there is lots of suitable habitat round here.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back