• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

voices on the internet (1 Viewer)

Ahoy.

I've been searching for the voice of the american bittern, Botaurus lentiginosus, but I can't find it - does this site have the voices hidden somewhere, or could anyone help me find the voice somewhere, pls? :h?:

Henrik, Odense, Denmark

Henrik,

I don't think I've ever heard Botaurus lentiginosus before so I can't help you with that. However, just for your info in the future, there is a section on this site that has a list of bird songs. It's under the 'resources' link at the top.

Rich.

I found the resources link (it's well hidden though, I think ). Yup, theres no recording for the american bittern.

I'm asking, because I'm contemplating going on a trip tomorrow (around 280 km ... both ways - 560 km in all..) listening for this bird - it's here in Denmark on its 4th year.

As I'm pretty inexperienced as a birder - around 180 species, been birding 2 years - I don't want to go, if it's too hard to distinguish it from our own bittern.

- Henrik

Hi Henrik,

Sorta guessed you might be heading up to Bygholme Vejle . . .

The first of the two links you posted, I couldn't open, the second sounds just like a tape I have with American Bittern, so it is probably typical - note the three-part call, "qulp-qu-bulp", quite distinct from European Bittern.

Good luck if you go - has anyone ever actually seen the bird? From what I've read, it can only be heard (and only with the wind in the right direction!), at a range of about 2km, as it is in a sanctuary area closed to the public.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Rich,

Almost all the birds currently on the BF sounds list are European - so not a lot of use for American species

Michael

Yep, realise that Michael - just replying to the question 'is there a list on this site'.

Rich.

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Henrik,

Sorta guessed you might be heading up to Bygholme Vejle . . .

The first of the two links you posted, I couldn't open, the second sounds just like a tape I have with American Bittern, so it is probably typical - note the three-part call, "qulp-qu-bulp", quite distinct from European Bittern.

Good luck if you go - has anyone ever actually seen the bird? From what I've read, it can only be heard (and only with the wind in the right direction!), at a range of about 2km, as it is in a sanctuary area closed to the public.

Michael

Tomorrow the authorities have given permission - this day only - for birders to go into the sanctuary to listen. I'm new as a birder, so I don't know the exact history of the bird - I also don't know whether anyone has actually _seen_ the beast this year (I don't think so, though).

(first I wasn't planning to go, but the sound is so neat that I'm reconsidering.....)

Yes, the recordings you have found are fine; at least compared to the relatively few American Bitterns I have heard in the wild & also the tapes I have. Haven't tried for the Danish individual, and - perhaps due to laziness ;) - don't really care as I have had good views in the US of several individuals...

Anyway, I will wish you good luck...

Anyway, as far as I know, only a few (don't know the exact number, but believe it to be less than 10) have actually seen it in the period it has been in Denmark. However, it has been heard be relatively many, incl. several times this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back