• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What the HELL is this? (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Taken today on the IOM.
Head/Body = 3.2cm
Ovipositor = 3.7cm

Attachments

• Wasp sp.1.jpg
    Wasp sp.1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 196
  • Wasp sp.2.jpg
    Wasp sp.2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 220
Ah good ol' Rhyssa persuasoria . . . . a parasitic wasp that lays its eggs on Sirex gigas wood-wasp larvae . . . remember them from forestry entomology at University

Michael

Now, I don't actively go looking for these things, but I do keep my eyes open and am fairly observant. So I can't believe I haven't seen one before if, as I've read, they're supposed to be common.
An amazing creature.

I wouldn't call them common - regular, yes, but not common. Most likely in mature pine forest, but also in other conifers.

Wait until you find a Sirex gigas . . . now there's a huge beastie!

Michael

Seen them, Michael - in fact they ARE common. So I suppose that would explain the presence of the Sabre.

Michael Frankis said:
Ah good ol' Rhyssa persuasoria . . . . a parasitic wasp that lays its eggs on Sirex gigas wood-wasp larvae . . . remember them from forestry entomology at University

Michael

That must have been a long time ago Michael, those damn systematists changed the name to Uroceras gigas ages ago, well at least ten years ago. lol.

Chris, your specimen of Rhyssa persuasoria is a female by the way, the males don't have that long ovipositor.

I see both species with great frequency, but then I do spend a lot of time in the Northumberland forests. It makes you wonder how a weak and fragile species like Rhyssa can stick that ovipositor at least half an inch into solid wood, and withdraw it again. Try doing that yourself with a thin pin and finger pressure alone.

I once let a specimen of U.gigas loose accidently in a pub, it emptied the bar faster than a lit fuse on a stick of dynamite could have done. lol.

Harry

I beleive that the wasp vibrates it's ovipositer at high fequency also with a twisting motion like a pneumatic drill? I may be wrong on this....

Fascinating beast all the same.

Harry, that story reminds me of another a mate told me once. As a kid he had collected some Great Diving Beetles from the local pond intenting to keep them in a tank for a few days in his bedroom.
One evening he must have left the lid off the tank by mistake as he woke up to the sound of whirring wings! He was out of his room like a shot too as those beggars can give you a nast nip!

christineredgate said:
It has hitched a ride on one of the TT bikes ,Chris!!
Sorry to keep reminding you !!

Believe me, I don't need reminding, Christine.
Fatality count so far for the last 10 days or so is up at around 8 (only 2 racers).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back